Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify needs an iOS 7 facelift!

Solved!

Spotify needs an iOS 7 facelift!

Spotify couldn't look more out of place in Apple's new iOS7 interface.

Take a look, as compared with Rdio's updated app on the left (thanks to @Batman for the suggestion; see his post below):

image.jpg 9273e2ef-b56a-4260-aefc-2b04f6e88929.jpeg

Rdio's stunning blurred background, icons,  menus, and typography fit seamlessly with Apple's new flat, "glass-like" style.

Pandora and iHeartRadio have also made minor tweaks to their apps to fit in. Spotify's hideous experience, however, will probably make me choose one of these other services until my music looks beautiful again.

If you don't have iOS 7 yet, the difference my not seem as stark to you, and you might think I'm nit-picking, but it makes Spotify a really poor experience on an new iPhones.

Does this bother you too? Please throw some Kudos my way so we can get this fixed ASAP!

40 Replies

Every service has its drawbacks:

1. MOG: Pros: First service to offer CD quality streaming. Album-oriented. Gapless playback. Cons: Terrible software. Desktop player is basically a clunky Flash wrapper. No local desktop downloading.
  2. Rdio: Pros: Cutting edge design, great UI, great user experience, thoughtful. Cons: No gapless playback. No local desktop player. No local desktop downloading.
  3. Spotify: Pros: Gapless playback. Local desktop downloading. Highly social and discovery oriented. Cons: "Playlist everything" is an annoying approach. No "collection" feature. Poor, frustrating software. Feels like it uses man-in-the-middleware (PhoneGap/Titanium).

I'm torn. I've had such a great experience with Rdio's iOS app. I can somewhat look past their lack of desktop software and local desktop downloading as I tend to use my phone to play music, even when I'm on my Mac. Lack of gapless playback is Rdio's greatest detriment.

Spotify is present everywhere. It has great social features and files may be downloaded locally via its desktop client. However, its software is and always has been mediocre at best. I suspect this is the limit of the product director's vision, and I do not carry much hope that the software situation will ever improve.

I'm tempted to go back to Rdio, buying gapless albums via iTunes.

***EDIT***

It turns out Rdio does have a Mac app! Though the app certainly does not feel native, which is disappointing, it does have the added benefit of supporting Mac media keys and will match its Rdio collection to your iTunes collection — a very cool feature.

Suggested posts