Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify offline playlist will only play on one device at a time

Spotify offline playlist will only play on one device at a time

Spotify offline playlist will only play on one device at a time. I have three ios devices, but spotify will only play on one device at a time. When you try to play two devices at a time it pauses one. I have checked spotify on my computer and it is logged out. Please help

9 Replies

Hey 🙂

Does this occur if you put the devices into "Offline Mode" from the settings/preferences menu?

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

...and surely the playlists have been synced / downloaded Offline.

IDEAS: Device Management | Recover Deleted Items

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

As Spotify is currently only available for personal, individual use, this is the intended behaviour of the Spotify application. You would only be able to play it on one device at a time.
Airhorn Enthusiast

David, unless something has changed recently, that is wrong.

Spotify allows you to sync offline to up to 3 devices. If a device is set to offline mode, it can play at the same time as another device which is streaming. This means that 4 devices can play at the same time (1 streaming and 3 offline). This has always been the case up to now, irrespective of licensing etc. If something has changed, please point us towards the updated Ts & Cs.

It depends if the device is offline, or if just the playlist is. The original poster said he was playing an offline playlist - Not that the application was offline.

There is nothing in the terms and conditions to clarify your statement, Steve. But it does say that Spotify are licensed for personal use. Part of this personal use is playback on one device at a time. 

Airhorn Enthusiast

That's true, but if devices are in offline mode, and they only need to connect once every 30 days to validate, then Spotify can't possibly know what the device is doing during the time in between. This is how Spotify has built the functionality and I would assume that it complies with everything required by the music licensing organisations. If more strict controls were required you would have to insist on devices being connected all the time and would not be able to offer an offline sync capability at all. Given that you do provide that capability, you can't then try and tell people what they artificially can and can't do with it, it just won't fly.

Thanks for your replies. The devices are being played at the same time in offine mode. It has always worked in the past, but now wants to only play one at a time. 

Also, the devices are not in offline mode in settings. This has always been set to off in the past and worked.

@SteveBrammer wrote:

That's true, but if devices are in offline mode, and they only need to connect once every 30 days to validate, then Spotify can't possibly know what the device is doing during the time in between. This is how Spotify has built the functionality and I would assume that it complies with everything required by the music licensing organisations. If more strict controls were required you would have to insist on devices being connected all the time and would not be able to offer an offline sync capability at all. Given that you do provide that capability, you can't then try and tell people what they artificially can and can't do with it, it just won't fly.

But if the application is online, then it would know, despite if the playlist is synced to your device or not. The applicating being in offline mode would be different, however.

Airhorn Enthusiast

Suggested posts