NEXT STEP

Spotify on Apple Watch 6 Cellular NOT working with Power Beats Pro

Spotify on Apple Watch 6 Cellular NOT working with Power Beats Pro

iPhone X

iOS 14.5.1

Apple Watch 6 Cellular

Watch OS 7.3.3

Spotify Premium UK

I bought an Apple Watch back in Sept 2020 to stream Spotify to my bluetooth headphone without my phone while at the gym. I started going to the gym on 12th April and the watch and Powerbeats Pro worked kind of ok. I would put my phone in my locker and walk to the gym, when out of Bluetooth range the headphone would cutout but I found if I changed the device to play from on my Spotify Apple Watch from phone and back again to watch or/and turned it on and off it would start playing without my phone present. I tried to fix this by unpairing watch and fresh install of iOS on phone and reload Spotify app. It now does not work at all without my phone in range. I cannot set the device to Apple Watch from Spotify on watch. It either freezes on ‘Connecting…’ or returns error ‘something went wrong’.

I only bought a cellular Apple Watch so I could stream Spotify to my headphones without my phone present so this is really frustrating especially when everybody (Apple & Spotify Info) said this would work before I bought the watch.

Spotify when are you going to sort this problem out or will you force me to switch to Apple Music?

Many thanks,

Martin

STOP PRESS 21May21

I have just seen that Spotify have launched the ability to download music to the watch app so you do not need to stream on cellular to have your phone with you but I have updated my app and cannot find ‘Download to Apple Watch’ Please help Spotify!

7 Replies

Hey @mcmoore,

Thank you for reaching out to us here in the Community. We're happy to help.

Can you double check if the headphones don't connect with the watch at all or if it's just the Spotify app that has no audio?

We also suggest that you switch of your phone > turn it back on > re-pair the headphones.

If that doesn't do the trick, can you perform a clean reinstall of the app? This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

As for the offline listening - this is being rolled out gradually and can take a while for everyone to have it available. You can read more about it in our newsroom here.

Keep us posted 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

It its definitely an issue with Spotify connecting to the Powerbeats Pro. I tested with phone off and Apple Music played ok even when the phone was turned off during play with no break. When switching to Spotify with the phone off it just says 'Play on a drive' 'Connecting…' and does not play on the Powerbeats so it is an issue with Spotify using the Powerbeats as a device.

I have tried doing a clean install of not only the app but also a low level install of the phone iOS from my computer and fresh install of the Spotify app.

This is extremely frustrating especially when Apple Music works so well.

Do you know when this bug will be fixed?

I very much look forward to offline listening but I suspect I would still have an issue connecting to the Powerbeats.

Thanks,

Martin

Hey @mcmoore,

Thanks for the reply!

This has been reported to the developer teams at Spotify. However, we don't have any official information on a date when this issue will be fixed.

For the time being the best workaround is turning bluetooth off and on again in the watch os system settings. 

Hope you find this info useful.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi,

Turning bluetooth on and off on the watch does not fix it. The only workaround would be to take my phone into the gym or move to Apple Music.

Please fix this Spotify!

Thanks,

Martin

Hey @mcmoore,

Thanks for the swift reply.

Could you send us the following info:

• Exact Spotify version of the app on your phone and watch
  • Watch model and OS version as of today
  • Exact headphone model

So we can relay this to the team investigating the issue.

AlexModerator

Hi Alex,

iPhone X (iOS 14.5.1)
Apple Watch 6 Cellular (Watch OS 7.3.3)
Spotify Premium UK iPhone App V8.6.28 (as the watch get the app from the phone I presume its the same version on the watch)

Powerbeats Pro Fragment Design

Thanks,

Martin

Hey @mcmoore,

Thanks for the info,

We've passed this on to the team investigating why this is happening.

We'll get back to you as soon as we have more info.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

Suggested posts