iOS 13.4.1 / iOS 13.4.1

Spotify App Version

8.5.58.1161 / 8.5.58.1161

Head Unit

Kenwood DDX4018DAB

Application Version V0.0.120

System Version V0.104

My Question or Issue

About two years ago I purchased a Kenwood DDX4018DAB head unit for my car.

For about a year I am not able to control my playlists from this head unit.

Yesterday I updated my DDX4018DAB firmware, which did not resolve the problem, so I found out, that this seems to be a problem with the Spotify App itself. To make sure it's not a problem with my iPhone 11 Pro, I also tried my work phone, the iPhone 6S, with the same result:
I do hear music in my car with both phones but the screen just keeps saying 'Connecting...' and nothing else will happen. That's really bad because I bought the head unit just to control spotify without touching my phone or watch. As I can't downgrade the App like all those Android folks I hope that this issue will be fixed in future App releases or if someone can help me right now with changing some settings, that would be nice.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

c2ho
Casual Listener
Thank your for your contribution, but I actually figured out a simpler way.
First of all, update the head unit to the newest version. Also update your Spotify App to the newest version. After that, all your configuration changes like wallpaper, Bluetooth connections, DSP etc. will be reset. Change settings, like DSP, and after that, reset the head unit manually. but Don't connect the devices yet! Also, open Spotify and play a song. Whilst playing the song, close the App from your Multitasking screen and keep it closed!
To make everything work again, connect the iPhone via USB-Cable to your head unit, it will will find your device automatically. Now open the Spotify App as quick as possible and resume your last played song followed by opening the Spotify player (the view where you can skip/pause etc.) My iPhone 11 Pro will stop playing the song for about 1 second, in this time you need to manually resume the song and click away the 'you are driving atm bla bla' message.
After some more seconds, everything started to work fine again.

No need to downgrade your app via sketchy Apps. Maybe Spotify just fixed this issue and all my steps aren't necessary anymore.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

trunks604
Casual Listener
Ok so I found a way to make it work.
There's 2 ways to do this.  Install and older version and it works but you will lose all the new features of the updated spotify app.  Other way is to install app cloner and clone the old version 8.4.78.530, inside the cloning app change the spotify name to something like Kenwood spotify and change the color of the icon if you wish to i did to make it easier.  Complete the cloning of the old spotify and install.  It will install a working version that works with kenwood decks.  Now go back and install the updated version of spotify.  After it installs you will now have 2 versions and they will work with each other.  Play the music with the old version first then play on the new version and it will play from the old version to the updated version.  Under the speaker play location selection of spotify you will now notice it plays through the phone example my phone is lg v30.  It will show that it's playing on lgv30 for selection . After this the native spotify in the kenwood decks will work, but in order to make this work make sure to have the old version renamed on the phone at all times.  ENJOY 
Solution!

c2ho
Casual Listener
Thank your for your contribution, but I actually figured out a simpler way.
First of all, update the head unit to the newest version. Also update your Spotify App to the newest version. After that, all your configuration changes like wallpaper, Bluetooth connections, DSP etc. will be reset. Change settings, like DSP, and after that, reset the head unit manually. but Don't connect the devices yet! Also, open Spotify and play a song. Whilst playing the song, close the App from your Multitasking screen and keep it closed!
To make everything work again, connect the iPhone via USB-Cable to your head unit, it will will find your device automatically. Now open the Spotify App as quick as possible and resume your last played song followed by opening the Spotify player (the view where you can skip/pause etc.) My iPhone 11 Pro will stop playing the song for about 1 second, in this time you need to manually resume the song and click away the 'you are driving atm bla bla' message.
After some more seconds, everything started to work fine again.

No need to downgrade your app via sketchy Apps. Maybe Spotify just fixed this issue and all my steps aren't necessary anymore.

View solution in original post

djbrotherson

I made a cloned Spotify APK (version 8.4.78.530) to resolve the Kenwood Exceleon Spotify Android connection issue.

It's the older Spotify version with a blue mirrored icon named "Spotify Kenwood".

I can confirm it's working. I just went outside in the cold and tried it on my Kenwood Exceleon DNX996XR

You can install the Google Play version as well and it should work in tandem with it.

I have both versions installed myself on my Huawei P30 Pro on Android 10. The APK is available on my Google drive

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11jAyjrtz_XoW3UK5OF_odOMdxJU-7wb0/view?usp=drivesdk

If you don't want to use my APK, you can download the non Google Play version of App Cloner (blue icon) and then download Spotify 8.4.78.530 and create it yourself as mentioned in previous posts.

Cheers

@djbrotherson on twitter

SUGGESTED POSTS