Spotify started misbehaving on iPhone

Spotify started misbehaving on iPhone

arvine1028
Regular

Hi, 

I'm getting weird behaviour from SpotifyPremium on my iPhone 5S (iOS version unknown). Upgraded to iOS 10.2 ...same behaviour.

AppStore says Spotify is current version (all Apps are current version).

A: Start Spotify... logo shows for a couple of seconds... menu shows for half a second... and Spotify appears to shut down!

B: Double-click the iPhone button and there appears to be a Spotify instance running in the background (playlist visible, Shuffle Play button visible), attempt to access this background instance: playlist goes full-screen for a second... logo replaces playlist... and Spotify appears to shut down.  GOTO A or GOTO B and repeat as often as you like.

C: Delete Spotify background instance and confirm it is gone with another button double-click. GOTO A

Spotify on my MacAir works perfectly.

Spotify on Win10 started... switched to "installing Spotify ...then restarted Spotify and works perfectly.

Anyone have some suggestions???

14 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Spotify started misbehaving on iPhone

arvine1028
Regular

Forgot to mention:

Yes, I uninstalled Spotify app, shut down iPhone, restarted iPhone, installed Spotify from AppStore. Result? GOTO A in msg above

I tried variations on the re-install theme including: restart phone before Spotify first-use; allow/not notifications. GOTO A in msg above

Occasionally I managed to provoke a slightly different response from the Spotify App. On two occasions it prompted me to agree Terms & Conditions - it closed the T&C screen after a quarter second so no chance to respond: with this variant, the background app is the Spotify logo screen instead of the playlist screen, but otherwise the behaviour is as msg above.

Four hours now I've been going through this loop of dozens of reinstalls!

Highlighted

arvine1028
Regular

I got it working for a while:

With the last of the many delete/installs done today.

1. Ensure there are no lingering background instances of Spotify.

2. Home+Power buttons for 10secs or so until the thing reboots.

3. Pause, prepare a finger at around 90% of the way down the screen.

4. Launch Spotify and keep that finger poised - you will have about 0.3sec

5. Spotify logo will show a few secs and give way to the T&C screen - unleash the finger!

If you are too slow, GOTO 1

If you have fast reactions you might get lucky and hit the T&C Agree button before it disappears. I was too slow twice, but got it on the third attempt.

Spotify started perfectly several times (search, play a track, etc), so I decided to document this "solution". 

I just tried Spotify again: bust again. Back exactly to A in the first post.

AAAARGH

Highlighted

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

Hey @arvine1028! Thanks for reaching out!

How much space have you got left on your phone? Let me know! 🙂

Take care!

HuboRock Star 16
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
Highlighted

arvine1028
Regular

Hi Huib,

Thanks for looking at the issue.

I have 7.23 GB free (...with Spotify installed)

Chris

Highlighted

arvine1028
Regular

NEW INFO

Turning off iPhone WiFi makes Spotify work.

Turning WiFi on again breaks it.

OSX-Spotify works fine on the same WiFi network.

Older version of iOS-Spotify worked fine on the same WiFi network.

There is a hardware firewall: rules are unchanged and are the same for all iOS and OSX devices.

Chris

typo corrected

Highlighted

arvine1028
Regular

That new info above shows there is no fundamental issue with iPhone or its Spotify installation. Great!

However, Spotify without WiFi is no use to me at all.

99.6% of my Spotify use is Spotify-Connect to either Chromecast-dongle or Connect-native devices ...I need to be on the same network to Connect which is tough without WiFi.

Chris

typo corrected

Highlighted

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

Hey @arvine1028

Could you try to reset your router/modem? Please refer to your manufacturer for more information on that. Let me know how it goes.

Have a lovely day! 🙂

HuboRock Star 16
Highlighted

arvine1028
Regular

Hi Huib,

Sorry if some of this sounds a bit ...ungrateful. I appreciate any help I can get and it is really not meant that way. Perhaps I'm getting a bit frustrated after 30 hours of trying to fix an app that got broken when I updated it.

OSX-Spotify on MacBooks is happy (using same AP, FW, DSL)

Win-Spotify on Win10 is happy (using same FW, DSL but is wired, so not using AP)

My son just visited: Android is happy doing Spotify (using same AP, FW, DSL)

My iPhone prior to Spotify app upgrade was happy (using same AP, FW, DSL)

Sure - I can reboot the 15 boxes on my network.

Sure - I can update the BIOS and  device drivers on all boxes.

Sure - I can set my firewall to produce 500 pages of log daily.

Sure - I can dig in deep with wireshark and investigate every packet.

Spotify support suggests turning off the firewall! Sure - it cost less than ten thousand bucks and its been working forever and it works for everything EXCEPT current iOS Spotify. Why not turn it off? Because I will cancel my subscription immediately if that is the only way to run iOS-Spotify on WiFi!

So I'm not saying no to your suggestion, but I would like to understand why resetting hardware that functions perfectly for EVERYTHING (including all flavours of Spotify EXCEPT current iOS-Spotify) is somehow going to be a solution to what I suspect is a simple bug in iOS-Spotify code.

Perhaps you could also clarify what you mean by "reset": a simple power down and up again will take around 10 minutes for all the boxes - an inconvenience but nothing to the 30 hours already spent on this issue. A factory reset and reconfigure to the way I want this stuff to work is more than a days work and needs a pretty big "why" to justify it (and hey, if I reconfigure it correctly I'm back where I started).

regards Chris

Highlighted

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

Hey @arvine1028!

Alright, I'm going to escalate this one. I'll get back to you shortly. Hang tight! 🙂

Take care!

HuboRock Star 16
SUGGESTED POSTS