Premium

Country

United Kingdom

Device

iPhone 7

Operating System

iOS 12.4.1

My Question or Issue

I have been using Spotify Premium for more than a year on my iPhone, my wife's Android phone, my iPad mini, and my Windows PC, all on the same Premium account.

I am usually casting to my home stereo, via a Google Chromecast Audio, connected to the stereo via an optical input cable.

It actually all worked brilliantly until a few weeks ago - now it is very difficult to get any of the devices to connect to the Chromecast Audio, and even when connection has been achieved, it will disconnect randomly.

Also, when playing an album or playlist, often when moving from one track to another the sound mutes itself, but the time counter continues to count - then halfway through the track the sound returns, but Spotify jumps to another track rather than playing the correct one!

So ultimately I can't listen to an album or playlist all the way through.

This only happens when casting - it I play an album on my iPhone or one of the other devices it will play as it should do.

I need to emphasize that this is a new, recent problem and I would like to know if anyone can think of a reason why this has suddenly begun to happen - has there been a recent Spotify update? Do I need to update the Chromecast Audio device? 

What would anyone suggest? 

19 Replies

Hi there!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app. Just follow these steps.

I'd also suggest updating to iOS 13.3 🙂

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply!

As you suggested, I deleted and reinstalled the Spotify app from my iphone 7, running on Ios 13.3 (the latest update installed yesterday)

no joy, I'm afraid - it take an age to connect to Chromecast Audio, if it does at all - and when it does it plays one song, but then when it moves to the next, the seconds count down but no sound  comes out of the speakers.

Do you think there could have been a fault develop on my Chromecast Audio? Or should I try a factory reset of it?

I'm having a similar issue. I have my spotify casting to my google home mini speaker. It will play a full song, then when the next song plays it will only play for about 30 seconds (or less) and then will get skipped.

I tried turning off the voice command but that did not solve the issue.

I've had this for about 2 months and just started having this problem.

Oh wow - maybe it's some system issue then, and not our own devices?

Any Spotify/Google/Chromecast Audio experts out there??!!

I have similar problem since 1mo.

Chromecast 3 playing music about 5minutes and suddenly app crashes on Chromecast.

I'm on latest iOS and latest Spotify from appstore.

If I play Spotify from eg web player it's fine. No crashes 

I'm having similar problems on iOS 13.1.3, iPhone XR  (updating to 13.3 as I write). Playing through a NAD speaker via Chromecast. This has worked fine for the past year up until a month or two ago.

I can reproduce the problem by going to a place in my apartment with a worse WiFi connection and opening the Spotify app while casting. The app seems to pick up that it is streaming elsewhere but the stream seems to flicker and then it stops the stream and the song that was playing is paused on your phone. It does not ask you if you would like to take over or continue playing on the current device.

I have also noticed that the stream stops when another sound source starts in iOS (again, with a worse WiFi connection). It might be that it is sending a hush message, the current sound source should be uninterrupted, and that pauses the stream. It seems to fit the prior situation where streams are taken over by the app.

Updated to 13.3 with no change.

Easily reproduce-able though. Start streaming while in my living room, walk to the kitchen, switch to any other app and then switch back to Spotify. It stops playing via Chromecast the moment you switch back to Spotify.

I think many of us have suddenly started to have problems playing Spotify from an iphone through Chromecast Audio!

But can anyone suggest a solution?

No solutions so far?

I'm having the exact same issue. It's super annoying!

I'm having this issue too. Dropouts already happened every once in a while but are now very frequent, as in at least 1 dropout per 3-5 songs.

Spotify, please fix your Chromecast implementation. All other apps work fine.

Looks like it's fixed now.
Playing few hours and no crashes 🙂

EDIT: yeah.. still randomly crashes after my post 😤😠

It's still disconnecting randomly for me 😭

Hi, 

same problem since approx. 12/2019. I use Spotify on iPad Pro, latest version & software and playback via Chromecast on Google Home (latest version) and other connected speaker in my home network. Playback stops every 2-3 songs automatically and disconnects from chromecast. I checked nearly everything. It is not WLAN, I reinstalled Spotify after clearing cache, I logged out on all devices via master account...no change. It is for sure a Spotify problem on iOS with chromecast. It worked perfect for 3 years! This is really making me crazy since 3 month and if you do not fix it I will switch to Apple Music or Deezer. It is impossible to use Spotify in my hone network.....Thanks

Exactly the same problem here with an iPhone. Casting stops in a matter of seconds after starting playing through casting. Target device is a Google home speaker 

I have no help to offer. Just adding that I too have this problem. From four different iPhones to two different Chromecast all the same. It plays for 30s to 15min and then stops. On average it plays about 2minutes but it seems rather random. I have tried a bunch of other apps, for example Netflix and they all work fine.

This is definitely a Spotify <> Google issue.

When I cast via SoundCloud app, I have zero issues

c'mon.... How long it will take? 

Hello everyone,

Thanks for reporting this issue to us.

We can confirm that this is an issue we're aware of and that the relevant team is currently working on a fix. We'd recommend you head here to add your +VOTE and a comment with the relevant info.

We'll be on the lookout for your replies!

XeniaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts