Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify stops playing after a few songs/lock screen buttons frequently won't work

Spotify stops playing after a few songs/lock screen buttons frequently won't work

i know this has been a problem in the past - but i only started having it (at least with annoying frequency) with version 1.4. as far as i can tell, the problem isn't limited to local songs i have synced to my iphone. that said, i sync pretty much all my spotify playlists so i have only had this happen with synced songs (but not necessarily local - plenty of them are songs htat spotify has in its database).

probably related, the lock screen controls often stop working. if i pause spotify for more than 5 minutes or so, usually when i try to resume from the the lock screen the song name has disappeared and been replaced with just 'spotify' screen. the play/pause buttons are still there but don't do anything. i have to go bck to the app to resume playing (the app had not crashed, it was still running in the background, by the way). this problem ive had with spotify since day 1, but it's happening WAY more frequently since the update.

i've tried the clear cache/delete/reset phone/re-install/re-sync and still seem to be having the problem - so i'm guessing it's just a bug i'll have to ride out...but does anyone have any suggestions?

iphone 5; spotify 1.4; ios 7.1.2 (this is the brand new update from a few days ago -but was having the same problems for the few days before that that i had spotify 1.4 and the previous version of ios. 

http://community.spotify.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/697561
7 Replies

I suspect if the music is paused for a period of time iOS is actually suspending the Spotify app which is why the play controls don't work. If that is the case there isn't much Spotify can do (or if they did it would have a terrible effect on battery life).

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

NO, this is definitely a problem with Spotify. I leave my iPhone 5 (7.1.2) on everyday when I drive to work, auto-lock is disabled. GPS (Apple Maps) is running in the foreground with Spotify running in the background. My playlist would stop after a few songs, this happens every time I use Spotify and every single day ever since the last update. To put it bluntly, it's pathetic that the programmers at Spotify can't even get the most basic function working, not to mention I'm a Premium member. Get your music player to play music before you work on "bug fixes".

That actually sounds a lot like this Android bug, at least regarding the stopping after a few tracks play. I don't think the two would be related in any way, but it is strange.

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

And they're going to throw the ball back at us and say it's a problem on our end.

I've just escalated this, I think it has to do with the memory usage of the application that is so high that the Apple runtime killed the application to prevent it from using more memory, might be a memory leak problem.
Meet Jeremy! | Day Entrepreneur, Night, Music Fanatic
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

I was experienced the same problem, but only after I increase the quality level too Extreme. Lower the quality of stream to either Normal or High and it will fix the issue.

It just started recently. I have a galaxy note 5 with all of the most recent updates. Mine isn't just every few sings though. Mine is literally every 30 seconds in pretty much every song! Like another person said... fix your music player and bugs. Its really annoying. I like my music to play without interruption for absolutely no reason... lol

Suggested posts