Spotify stream sputters, drops out from iPhone, iPad over Airplay

Solved!
Highlighted

Spotify stream sputters, drops out from iPhone, iPad over Airplay

JMinSF
Gig Goer

This has been happening pretty consistently for the past week or so, not at all previously.

When I play Spotify from my iOS device (I have both an iPad Mini [retina] and an iPhone 5) using Airplay, the stream sputters and cuts out frequently, sometimes constantly.  

This doesn't happen when playing iTunes music using Remote on the iPad and iPhone, nor does it happen when I stream Pandora from my iOS devices.  It's not just occasional: it makes Spotify unlistenable on Airplay.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Spotify, the problem persists.

Anyone?  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: Spotify stream sputters, drops out from iPhone, iPad over Airplay

JMinSF
Gig Goer

I know that I might have to come back to this message string over the next few days if it all falls apart, but for now, this has been the solution:

Turn off Bluetooth.  The sputtering, skipping, buffering... history.  

Relieved and delighted.

View solution in original post

15 Replies

baespey
Music Fan

If it only happens on AirPlay then that is your variable. I would check the quality of the AirPlay or WiFi connection where you're at. Something seems up with that, not Spotify. AirPlay isn't guaranteed to work on all apps. The same thing sometimes happens with my Bluetooth on Spotify.

JMinSF
Gig Goer

Thanks.  Just to be sure I was clear: I *only* have this problem with Spotify, not with Remote, not with Pandora.  I agree that it has something to do with Airplay, but more precisely it has something to do with how Spotify interfaces with Airplay -- not a problem with Pandora.  I can stand a foot away from the Airplay base station and the problem persists.  The wifi connection is very strong.

longwayround
Regular
Just to add that, in my experience, this is /only/ a Spotify issue. I can reliably watch the output from BBC iPlayer via Airplay but Spotify's audio output is often unlistenable.

russtm
Roadie

This has been going on for months it's mainly over AirPlay but it also happens when listening through headphones sometimes it is driving me insane.

russtm
Roadie

oh & Beats Music airplays just fine

JMinSF
Gig Goer

I've been involved in a several-days'-long back-and-forth with Spotify Customer Service.  I'll post here if/when a solution is found.  Thanks.

JMinSF
Gig Goer

I'm a little reluctant to declare "PROBLEM SOLVED", but it seems to be so:

At the advice of a friend, I turned off Bluetooth on my iPhone and it's been 90 minutes without a sputter or skip.  Could it be this simple??

Mnyb
Roadie

Afaik the phone has only has one antenna/radio and its used for wifi bluetoth and airplay and phone stuff all at the same time .

So it should fetch the music via wifi or 3g and send it as airplay at the same time . it may also relate to the quality setting in spotify on my mobile phone i use the low quality home we use highest quality (320kbps) with an always wifi conected iPad (no 3g )

Solution!

JMinSF
Gig Goer

I know that I might have to come back to this message string over the next few days if it all falls apart, but for now, this has been the solution:

Turn off Bluetooth.  The sputtering, skipping, buffering... history.  

Relieved and delighted.

View solution in original post

SUGGESTED POSTS