Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify stream sputters, drops out from iPhone, iPad over Airplay

Solved!

Spotify stream sputters, drops out from iPhone, iPad over Airplay

This has been happening pretty consistently for the past week or so, not at all previously.

When I play Spotify from my iOS device (I have both an iPad Mini [retina] and an iPhone 5) using Airplay, the stream sputters and cuts out frequently, sometimes constantly.  

This doesn't happen when playing iTunes music using Remote on the iPad and iPhone, nor does it happen when I stream Pandora from my iOS devices.  It's not just occasional: it makes Spotify unlistenable on Airplay.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Spotify, the problem persists.

Anyone?  Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I know that I might have to come back to this message string over the next few days if it all falls apart, but for now, this has been the solution:

Turn off Bluetooth.  The sputtering, skipping, buffering... history.  

Relieved and delighted.

View solution in original post

15 Replies

If it only happens on AirPlay then that is your variable. I would check the quality of the AirPlay or WiFi connection where you're at. Something seems up with that, not Spotify. AirPlay isn't guaranteed to work on all apps. The same thing sometimes happens with my Bluetooth on Spotify.

Thanks.  Just to be sure I was clear: I *only* have this problem with Spotify, not with Remote, not with Pandora.  I agree that it has something to do with Airplay, but more precisely it has something to do with how Spotify interfaces with Airplay -- not a problem with Pandora.  I can stand a foot away from the Airplay base station and the problem persists.  The wifi connection is very strong.

Just to add that, in my experience, this is /only/ a Spotify issue. I can reliably watch the output from BBC iPlayer via Airplay but Spotify's audio output is often unlistenable.

This has been going on for months it's mainly over AirPlay but it also happens when listening through headphones sometimes it is driving me insane.

oh & Beats Music airplays just fine

I've been involved in a several-days'-long back-and-forth with Spotify Customer Service.  I'll post here if/when a solution is found.  Thanks.

I'm a little reluctant to declare "PROBLEM SOLVED", but it seems to be so:

At the advice of a friend, I turned off Bluetooth on my iPhone and it's been 90 minutes without a sputter or skip.  Could it be this simple??

Afaik the phone has only has one antenna/radio and its used for wifi bluetoth and airplay and phone stuff all at the same time .

So it should fetch the music via wifi or 3g and send it as airplay at the same time . it may also relate to the quality setting in spotify on my mobile phone i use the low quality home we use highest quality (320kbps) with an always wifi conected iPad (no 3g )

Marked as solution

I know that I might have to come back to this message string over the next few days if it all falls apart, but for now, this has been the solution:

Turn off Bluetooth.  The sputtering, skipping, buffering... history.  

Relieved and delighted.

Me too, except on a sony phone.

Other music streaming services working fine.

Wasted an hour of my life trying to fix it.

Spotify cancelled unfortunately.

I too have a new bug . Premium has been fine for 2 years almost, but updated app, ver 1.5.0.2728 and when streaming via bluetooth in my car where i use spotify most it drops out after about 30 secs and has to be restarted..then is OK . not good to have to pull over and restart, tempted to do this while driving..not safe. So all worked fine before updated app. iOS 5 iPhone.

I'm having this same problem on my iphone.  Spotify continues to cut out when playing over airplay.  Pandora, iTunes, etc will stream fine, it only seems to be spotify I'm having the issue with streaming.  I tried the suggested solution of turning off BlueTooth when streaming Spotify to airplay, but it still happens.  The connect is not a problem as I can easily switch to Pandora or iTunes and have no issues streaming.  Anyone have any other suggestions or tips?  It's frustrating not being able to stream Spotify in my house.

Thanks! 

I have this problem too... Only in the last six months. I resorted to setting my iPad to 'never' sleep. So now I'll probably burn out the screen. I can only set my iPhone 6 to '5 min' sleep, so it's still really winding me up royally. I've even downloaded another music streaming app, where it doesn't occur. I wish Spotify would fix this cod I'm nearly ready to bin it - which is just before I was about to go Premimum.

My bluetooth is not on. Still stopping and sputtering.

Hi,

Still the same issue using Spotify via Airplay ;-(

Any news on this topic ?

I just setup Apple TV 4 a week ago in a residence.

When we launch the Spotify App and using Airplay, it's working fine but as soon as we go through another room (5m far away) and switching WiFi signal on another Access-Point (Same VLAN, Same SSID), there is a micro-cut (2 seconds) and then music resume playing.

Bluetooth On or OFF...same issue.

No issue using Apple Music form same device with same scenario...100%stable.

Thanks for your support ! PLEASE !!!

Suggested posts