Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify unusable with AirPlay to Apple TV on iPhones, iPads, iPods or iMac etc

Solved!

Spotify unusable with AirPlay to Apple TV on iPhones, iPads, iPods or iMac etc

I have no problem playing music from the Music app, or video from iPlayer or Safari, from my iPhone 4s, iPad 2, or iPod Touch 5G to my two Apple TV3 ... but Spotify seems very unstable and unusable on all these platforms, and on my modern iMac 27" ... it works intermittently, but the playback soon breaks up, stops completely, starts again etc.

My Apple TVs connect to my switched 1Gbps LAN via a high spec 5GHz WiFi router (I found video streaming was unreliable without this, or without being hardwired). The iPhone 4S cannot connect at 5GHz, but can play video using a 2.4GHz channel without problems.

The iMac is hardwired to the 1Gbps LAN, and because Spotify doesn't have native AirPlay support on MacOS, I am using AirPlay mirroring (which works fine with VLC etc).

Everything is running the latest version of everything. I have tried restarting apps and all devices. But no joy.

I am a UNIX systems performance professional, with 25+ years experience in the industry (including realtime, low latency and multithreading). I have tried many experiments, and followed many recommendations, but it looks to me very much like an application issue, not least since other applications with non-native AirPlay support, some doing HD video, seem to have no problem.

I have been a premium subscriber for some time, but as I have recently become more committed to AirPlay, I may have to look elsewhere for compatible music streaming services (which is a real shame, because I really like Spotify).

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

After trying all the suggestions I've read... I cannot air play spotify through iPad to apple TV.

I see the option where it says devices available. Here it says connect to a device.

All my devices are listed here, so it sees everything on the network. It also says listening on this iPad

I select more devices option.

I then select Airplay & Bluetooth

A box appears with the title AIRPLAY... and in this box,  iPad has a check mark since it is being used and Apple TV is without a check mark.

I select Apple TV , (or put a check mark here). so I can switch to it

At this point the music should start on my apple TV

Does not work ... reset my iPad, unplugged apple TV for a minute, reset router and modem.... seemed to fix the problem.

This re-occurred again later the same day, all that was necessary this time was a reset of iPad and all good.

How long before next reset?

View solution in original post

6 Replies

fully agree with you. one year no problem with iphone via apple tv airplay and premium account. since january 2015 two iphone 6 with spotify app interuppt apple tv airplay between 1-10 minutes. what a shame. all other music apps have no problems.

tricky: after stopping music apple tv showing longer the cover minutes and seconds. but paused. after reactivating spotify app apple tv play music but cover and minutes and seconds shows same paused timestamp.

router dlink dir-845l but apple tv via lan.  

When airplaying from my 5S to my Apple TV 3 on 5 ghz wifi I suffer from disconnects as well. Very frustrating

Its not a problem with airplay, the same happens without airplay when spotify is to long in standby (all other apps closed).

see also:        Spotify stops when iPhone goes in standby.             

Marked as solution

After trying all the suggestions I've read... I cannot air play spotify through iPad to apple TV.

I see the option where it says devices available. Here it says connect to a device.

All my devices are listed here, so it sees everything on the network. It also says listening on this iPad

I select more devices option.

I then select Airplay & Bluetooth

A box appears with the title AIRPLAY... and in this box,  iPad has a check mark since it is being used and Apple TV is without a check mark.

I select Apple TV , (or put a check mark here). so I can switch to it

At this point the music should start on my apple TV

Does not work ... reset my iPad, unplugged apple TV for a minute, reset router and modem.... seemed to fix the problem.

This re-occurred again later the same day, all that was necessary this time was a reset of iPad and all good.

How long before next reset?

This is not a solution to the original problem outlined in detail.

i also experience the same issue.

Spotify connects fine to Apple TV but then disconnects within  10 minutes. 

This is not a solution to the original post

Suggested posts