Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify update on iPhone - battery draining rapidly

Spotify update on iPhone - battery draining rapidly

Hi,

I had an App Store update of Spotify on Monday since since then my iPhone 4S battery is draining at 15-20% per hour, to the point where I've had to stop using the app.  I haven't changed any settings and have been using Spotify for a number of months on my iPhone without any problems.  Is anyone else having this issue?

Thanks,

Linzi

P.S. I'd also like to add that this issue is still NOT SOLVED

61 Replies

I just received my iPhone 5 and the first 10 percent I downloaded all the songs from spotify and installed Navigon (very intensive stuff). When I hit 90 percent I started listening to music, i was at the 1,11 hour mark there.

Now I'm at 2 hours and 9 minutes usage (1 hour of listening on standby) and my battery dropped to 73 percent already. Very dissapointing as I tend to use Spotify A LOT.

I Guess I just can't use spotify MOBILE on the go anymore then..

I can't seem to edit my post so I'll say it here;

I'm using pre-downloaded songs. It seems to have LESS drain while using the radio function. (at least it did on my 4S)

Mr Spotify, could you kindly respond?

Wld consider suspending membership until app bug is fixed .

Having the same issue on a 4S running the latest iOS. I just noticed it recently, and I agree that it seems worse when I'm listening to local tracks. My phone gets pretty hot and the battery drains five times faster than it would've usually. Maybe fix it? Or respond?

This is a pretty good app in terms of functionality, but it drains the battery at about 20% an hour on an iPhone5/iOS6. Unless I can get power at the end of a journey, I have to avoid using it. There have been a couple of updates since I first started using this app but they don't seem to have addressed the battery drain issue. The phone gets pretty warm implying that the CPU is busy, so is this a decryption issue rather than a radio issue (I use it in off-line mode and only listen to downloaded tracks)? Makes me wonder whether it can be fixed, especially as there doesn't seem to have been much activity from Spotify themselves to address this.

Spotify team, come on, please address this. 

This is a BIG issue and no one from the Spotify team seems to care. 

Since starting this thread there have been many updates to the Spotify app but none of them have solved the battery drain issue.  This last update, has in fact made the issue worse.  I now cannot even have the spotify app open on my iPhone if I want the battery to survive the day, and that's without even playing any music.  When playing music, in online or offline mode, the amount of power being used is sufficient to make the iPhone get hot.  Please sort this problem out

16% drained away (100%-84%) this morning in 45 minutes. Unless you listen in a car and have it plugged in the whole time, this is unusable.

I am having this problem too.  15% in 45 minutes.  Even when I close the app completely, my battery is still drained

Latest update has killed my iPhone 5 battery. Less than 2 hrs saw a 20% drain in may battery. This  is unacceptable. I will cancel soon if I see no update. I cannot go on like this...

so WTF? is spotify going to fix this issue or not? It happens in both, iPod n' iPod Touch ... my way around it is to kill the app after i'm done using

Has anyone tried turning off push notifications and turning off all social media settings? I did a brief test and this seem to dramatically improve battery life.

the things that fixes it for me is killing the backgound app after i'm done listening

Yeah same here I've had to start force-closing the app when I'm done to avoid the drainage that it causes to my battery when it's idle in the background(power to bring up slide to power off screen then home til it's killed)

iPhone 4s with iOS 6.1.2 major battery drain since the day we installed the app. I'm not streaming, just playing my sync'd playlists. Even this morning, Apr 1 2013, only app open was Spotify playing sync'd playlist, and it drained my battery 24% in 1 hour.

I've also notice a severe battery drain when leaving the Spotify app in background.

(iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.2)

I have cancelled my Premium account due specifically to this battery drain issue.

Will be happy to consider renewing when this bug is fixed.

I had Spotify on my iphone 4S and the battery drainage was horrible. Even if the app was background or closed it drained my battery. I uninstalled Spotify and changed to Deezer and the difference is enormous. Battery drainage is pretty much the same than Apple's own music player. I've been using Spotify for many years, but I got to say that this issue was too much. Great service but fix your app!

The exact same problem I have iPhone 4S the battery was dead in 2hours this ridiculous. Btw I love spotify but this is relly annoying

Suggested posts