Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify using cellular data even though it's connected to wifi

Spotify using cellular data even though it's connected to wifi

Man, it just goes from bad to worse for me.

Has anyone ever had a situation where spotify will download over cellular even though you're connected to wifi?

Support has been helping me with some issues I've been having with excessive cellular data usage.  I'd just finished following some directions they'd given me and was taking some screenshots of the iphones cellular stats page to send them.

I was on 4G.  I set a playlist to be available offline.  The message 'Waiting for WiFi' appeared, which was what I expected.

I connected to WiFi, the playlist started downloading as expected.  So far so good.

I jumped back to cellular stats and was surprised to see it was going up? 

As I watched, the entire playlist was downloaded over cellular, even though the phone was connected to WiFi?

So yeah, I was wondering if anyone had ever seen anything like that?  I didn't even know it was possible to use cellular data when there was a wifi connection?

2 Replies

Hey @Craigski

Are you still having this issue?

This was recently fixed:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/High-Data-Usage-on-iOS-App-5-4-0/idi-p/1330089

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Yes, it seems to be fixed.

edit:  Though I note a number of people on the thread you linked saying it hasn't fixed it.  I haven't used Spotify for the last few days because after going crazy on my cellular data this month it has pushed me too close to my monthly data limit.

Suggested posts