Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't play on Bluetooth speakers

Spotify won't play on Bluetooth speakers

I go to spotify, choose my playlist, hit play, it plays on my MacBook pro OS X Yosemite, I turn the Bose speaker Bluetooth on, hit the Bluetooth connect button on laptop, it beeps sometimes music sometimes no music. When I disconnect the Bluetooth the music won't play on the laptop - I have to quit Spotify and restart it. It will then start playing on the laptop but won't connect to Bose speakers. Sometimes I see itunes has opened in background but even after I quit itunes spotify won't play until it restart it and won't play on Bose speakers. Other apps play fine
13 Replies

The simplest solution I've found is to connect your computer to your Bose (via bluetooth) and play any video clip with sound off the internet, then start Spotify, and voila! Crystal clear, bumping music... Hope this helps!

I am having the same problems with Spotify playing though my Marshall Stanmore speaker via Bluetooth.  I am using a MacbookPro OS X Yosemite. When I first got the speaker it worked great for 2 days then the sound became barely audible. I called apple and they had me clears up my files and eventually it worked fine.

About a month later, yesterday, bluetooth for Spotify stopped working again with no discenible audio output whatsoever.  However, bluetooth and the Stanmore speaker work perfectly with itujnes, Youtube, and even television channels--everything but Spotify.

I can plug my iphone into a bose dock and play spotify through that but not wirelessly. Any ideas? 

I have now uninstalled and reinstalled spotify twice. Each time I've got to the library on my mac and deleted the cache and the installer before and emptying the trash. Both times my spotify has starrted up fine with my full content intact. Bluetooth continues not to work withmy Marshall Stanmore Speakers.. Again, The speakers works fine with itunes, YouTube and my television. I guess I'll contact apple and see if they can help becasue I cannot also connect my bluetooth to my phone. Although my iphone plays perfectly from my Bose SoundDock series III which is not Bluetooth enabled. 

Any ideas would be appreciated and if I'm just missing the proper thread that will solve problem; my apologies for being a luddite in these matters. Thanks

This is my (embarrasing) solution for having problems with connecting to my speakers through Bluetooth from my Mac.

Sometimes the solution is literally right in fromt of one's face. When I was playing Spotify on my Mac, the message in the lower right corner would alert me that Spotify was playing there and if I want to change it to my phone. What I failed to notice was that this message was almiost ontop of the volume control for Spotify, which I found out had been turned all the way down. My Spotify now works perfectly via Bluetooth through my speakers. 

Problem solved, even if though there was not really a problem in the first place.Oh well, hopefully someone can learn from my lack of vision and avoid bothering the community with questions lacking the most basic of diagnostic approaches. 

I bought my Bose minispeaker specifically to use with Spotify.  It worked up until recently with both my imac and lenovo computers...what's going on?  There is no longer anywhere to specifity the speaker on Spotify although the speaker is paired with the computer.  Why has this capability been removed and how do I use my speaker now????? I am usually digitizing on the computer so would rather use the Bose with imac which is in another room! Also, I have a Galaxy 4 and am really confused as to how to move music to it.   Guess it would playthrough the Bose.   This makes me want to look for another music provider even though I enjoy Spotify!  Guess I could move playlists to tablets or phones???? If I knew how!  LOL

I've just started using spotify and only bought my bluetooth speaker today so I'm a total novice. I can't see how to get spotify to play on my speaker. I know the speaker works but when I go to spotify help for connecting to bluetooth it says 'Select the speaker or headphones in your Spotify device’s Bluetooth settings' but I can't see where I do that. Help!

Also when I click 'download' on my lists where does it download to as I can't find them on my computer!

Yes! That was it! Duh---volume button!

I think I figured it out! Go to System Preferences and go to the Bluetooth menu. At the bottom check off where it says "Show Bluetooth in Menu Bar". The Bluetooth logo will then appear in the bar at the top of your screen near the time. Click the logo and connect to your device, then hover over the name of your device and click "Open Sound Preferences", there you will be brought to a pop-up. It will say "Select a Device for Output", switch from Internal Speakers to the name of your Bluetooth device. And it should be working. Feel free to message me anytime!

Hi, I didnt understand your solition.Could you help me?Where Can I find the system prefences?

I am having the same issue. Won't play through my Bose speaker that's connected to my desktop. And when I turn the speaker off or disconnect it, I have to completely close Spotify and re-open it before it will begin to play again over the computer. 

I tried your solution AlainaBell01, and it still didn't work for me. In fact, those were already my settings. I've tried everything I can think of and it just won't play. 

This just worked for me, Mac OS Sierra Version 10.12.6

Hi. Did you get to find System Prefs? Just check while on the Spotify app, that you have this connected correctly, bottom rightand side (Connect to a device). This info is from an iMac so the option maybe elsewhere on iPhone etc.

There's  a little icon down on the bottom right - next to the volume icon.  This is the "Devices Available" icon.  Click on this and ensure you've selected the device you want to listen on (usually "this computer" for me).

Suggested posts