Premium

Country

United States

Device

iPhone 11, Apple Watch Series 7

Operating System

iOS 15.2, watchOS 8.3

My Question or Issue

I can't use Spotify on my watch. Each time I try playing something on my watch and pair my AirPods to said watch, it just says "Connecting..." and doesn't play anything, opting to play music through my iPhone. I also can't see anything in my downloads, after downloading music to my watch through the app on my phone. I've tried listening to music with using AirPods on my watch and it works perfectly fine with Apple Music.

6 Replies

Elena

Hi @aesuki,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out to us!

Could you let us know the version of the Spotify app you're running? You can check it under Settings > About.

Feel free to share what troubleshooting steps you've tried so far so we avoid repeating them. If you haven't already, try performing a clean reinstall of the Spotify app.

Keep us posted on this.

Cheers!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

bareyb

FYI: I tried turning off the "Automatically" to go "last device used" in the Bluetooth/Airpods settings on my iPhone and it seems to have fixed the problem. If you leave it on "Auto" the Watch  and headphones look for ANY Apple Device it can connect to, and seems to always default to the iPhone instead of itself or the Airpods.  If you turn that off it simply looks for the LAST device you connected to. Which in my case is always my Watch. Now when I open the Spotify App my Watch is already chosen ad the output device and the Airpods connect as expected. 

To get to the screen on your iPhone, connect your AirPods to your iPhone, go into Bluetooth, find them and hit the little "i" and then you will see the options described above. 

dock.jpg

Jeremy

Hi @bareyb,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

It's really nice of you to share what worked for you with the rest of the Community 🙂

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Have a great continued weekend.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

bareyb

Meh. It didn't work after all. It still wants to play the Apple Music App by default. The only work around I've found is to simply let it connect to Apple Music App first and then switch over to the Spotify App once it's connected. Otherwise you just sit there  with a blinking Watch Icon forever.

It's gotten to the point where I'm seriously considering dropping Spotify completely and caving in to Apple Music just so I don't have to deal with all the connection problems. 

Eni

Hey @bareyb

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

In this case, we suggest that you make sure to set Spotify as the default music player on your iPhone. This setup should affect the watch as well. 

Also, if the issue you're experiencing is different from the original post's topic, we'd recommend creating a new thread here. We'll be happy to help you there. 

Cheers!

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

bareyb

Hi thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't help. Spotify was already the default music app on my Watch. So that wasn't the problem. I can always eventually get Spotify to work on my Apple Watch but it takes way too long and there's no one way that works consistently. I hope you get this fixed but in the mean time I got a free 6 months trial for Apple Music from Verizon so I'm gonna switch to that for my Watch and keep using Spotify on everything else.  I was able to transfer all my playlists from Spotify to Apple Music automatically (thank God for https://www.tunemymusic.com ) so that really helped ease the pain. The idea of recreating my years of Spotify one at a time was seriously depressing... Lol.

Anyway, I'm still a fan and will continue to use Spotify on everything but my Apple Watch and hopefully you guys can get this connection thing figured out in the next six months. Appreciate you trying to help. 

Suggested posts

Env: prod