Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't work on iOS 10 but still works on iOS 9?

Spotify won't work on iOS 10 but still works on iOS 9?

I've been using Spotify on my old iPad 2 on iOS 9 (the latest it will update to) with no problems for years. I recently upgraded my Father's iPad 4th gen to an 8th gen so didn't imagine any problems in using Spotify on the iPad 4 for myself. So imagine my surprise when the latest compatible version doesn't allow me to sign in or use the app.

What kind of ridiculousness is this? Surely there is a version available that still works on iOS 10 because I have a working version on iOS 9. Now I know never to wipe or delete the app from that iPad 2 because if I do I won't be able to use Spotify on it again.

I have to waste time looking in to Jailbreaking the iPad 4 just so I can download a working version of Spotify for iOS 10, when the developers could've easily made a version available on the App store that still works with older Apple devices. I get that developers work hard to make sure the App works it's best on later versions of iOS, but why not leave the older working versions available for those that don't upgrade their tech every few years.

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

iPad 4th Generation

Operating System

iOS 10.3.3

6 Replies

Hi @keyofbflatminor,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Spotify currently runs on devices with iOS 12 or higher. Check supported devices

We can't guarantee that the app or web service will run on older devices, since some system features may not be supported. 

We don't recommend downloading older Spotify releases from unofficial sources, as we can't guarantee that they will be working as expected or won't contain malware.

You can leave your +Vote on this Idea. The more votes an idea gets, the more likely it is to get implemented.

Hope this info helps. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Alex,

You say that Spotify currently runs on devices with iOS 12 or higher, but this isn't strictly true because I have an iPad 2 with iOS 9 and version 8.4.62.490 on which it's working perfectly fine.

I understand that when new versions are released then the older app versions are deleted from the App store, but why not at least leave the last compatible version for iOS 10 & 11 up on the App store so that people who have premium subscriptions can at least sign in and use those devices? Not all of us want to upgrade our tech every couple of years simply to keep up with newer app releases. At one point Spotify was working fine with iOS 10 so why not make the best version of that (which allows sign in) to be available for older devices?

Hey @keyofbflatminor,

Thanks for your reply.

We understand your frustration with this situation, but keep in mind that deprecating older versions on older OS is a standard procedure that developing apps use. All new features and fixes are being introduced through releasing newer versions of the app. Older versions don't get updates/security patches and Spotify can't guarantee that keeping older versions online won't cause any unexpected behavior or create possible security issues for the users. This is precisely why we always recommend keeping your devices and apps up do date.

Hope this clears things up. If you have any questions or need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Kiril Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Looking for the same issue. Bumped into your thread. Thanks for creating it. Looking forward for solution.

Did you have a fix on this issue?

If that’s the case, just head to the App Store, and go to the Updates tab where you’ll be able to find the apps there. Search for Spotify and go ahead to install the last compatible version for iOS 10.

Monkey

Suggested posts