Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Stranger listening through Spotify Connect?

Solved!

Stranger listening through Spotify Connect?

Hi y’all,

Details upfront:

Plan: Premium

Device: iPhone XS

Operating System: iOS 10

My Question or Issue:

I don’t know how, but in the last couple weeks I’ve noticed random songs I didn’t add pop up when I shuffle through my library and some playlists I didn’t make show up in my account. Sometimes I’d be listening to a song and a random song would cut in and start playing. These were all songs in Spanish, but by artist I didn’t recognize. The other day my app froze completely and wouldn’t let me play anything. I deleted it and redownloaded it and it started working again. I thought someone might have had my login somehow, so I changed my Spotify password and logged into my account with my new credentials. But it kept happening. Just half an hour ago I saw that someone was playing a song I didn’t recognize through my account. I finally realized that it was being played on a foreign device so I went to my devices and saw that another iPhone was using my account through Spotify Connect. They were persistent, though, kept on clicking back to their device and playing their song. It **bleep** me off quite a bit. I clicked to forget that device but it didn’t go away immediately (like I’d expected it to), I repeated that process a few times, and then I finally turned on the option to Show Local Devices only. I wasn’t sure if that would actually not let that person connect or if it’d just hide them from my screen so I turned it back off and when I went to the Devices page it didn’t list the other phone anymore. I’m not sure if this is the permanent fix, though, because I don’t know if they need to enter my new password to use my account through Connect like they’ve been doing. I also turned off my cellular data for Spotify but that’s not the best option for me so after that device went away I turned it back on. Should this stop this issue? What should I do if it persists? I’ve had my phone linked via Bluetooth to cars before but I always make sure they forget my device. I’m not sure if I still left my account logged in on some random speaker or if I inadvertently gave someone access to my account, but I hope the steps I took stop this. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I've had the same happen to me a couple of weeks ago, but i haven't seen any weird activity since i logged out of every device and changed the password. Someone was listening on a iPhone (i have never owned an iPhone) to turkish artists. Now, my account is full of recommendations for turkish artists. My Release Radar and Discover Weekly are a mess and i found out there's no way for a user to reset preferences. I've emailed support@spotify.com just now to see if they can reset my account to a blank state. I've checked https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to see if there were any recent breaches of sites were i'm registered, but nothing unusual there. I've disconnected my account from facebook years ago, so they could not have gained entry through there.  Anyway, the major concern i have now is how to clean my account of Turkish artists (besides manually).

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

I've had the same happen to me a couple of weeks ago, but i haven't seen any weird activity since i logged out of every device and changed the password. Someone was listening on a iPhone (i have never owned an iPhone) to turkish artists. Now, my account is full of recommendations for turkish artists. My Release Radar and Discover Weekly are a mess and i found out there's no way for a user to reset preferences. I've emailed support@spotify.com just now to see if they can reset my account to a blank state. I've checked https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to see if there were any recent breaches of sites were i'm registered, but nothing unusual there. I've disconnected my account from facebook years ago, so they could not have gained entry through there.  Anyway, the major concern i have now is how to clean my account of Turkish artists (besides manually).

Hahahahaha dang! Well I’m glad to know I’m not the only one...and that that fix worked! Sorry you have all these Turkish recs lol. I’m sure they’ll start going away if you just aggressively listen to your favorite music for a little while. Or maybe check out some of the Turkish songs! They might be bops, haha. But thanks! I just needed some confirmation, so this helps. 

Suggested posts