Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Streaming Quality 'Automatic' option ??

Solved!

Streaming Quality 'Automatic' option ??

In setttings under Streaming Quality there is a new option labeled 'Automatic (recommended)'. What exactly does this option do?

I've seen some people suggest that is lowers the quality to normal while using cellular data, and raises it while on wifi.

I've also seen others suggest that it raises the quality if you have a good connection (regardless if the connection is on a cellular or wifi network).

To conserve data in the past I always had mine set to 'normal' quality (96 kbps).

Could someone clarify what the 'automatic' setting is actually doing?

Thanks...

49 Replies

People understand the jist of it.

I think the question is what metrics is the system actually using? Is it looking at the actual bandwidth of your connection and making a call or is it just going WiFi = Extreme and Mobile Data = High, for example?

Is there a rule, like is many apps, that only lets the data usage ramp up when on WiFi?

What if I'm on WiFi with poor bandwidth?

What if I'm on 4G with great bandwidth and no data cap?

What if I'm on 4G with great bandwidth but a 2GB data cap?

I answered that question already.

It is not using an intuitive system in any way, shape or form.

It's going "Does your download speed meet 'Extreme' criteria? If so, stream
on Extreme.", etc. for High and Normal.

Every other streaming app does the same thing.

Bandwidth only determines whether or not your connection can stay streaming
at those higher qualities or if your actual download speed will drop due to
low bandwidth connections causing download speed buffering.

I don't see how this app is the "8th Wonder" when it comes to how it
handles quality settings.

Many apps, by default, tend to prevent you doing things when not on WiFi (regardless of download speed), e.g. background downloads, background uploads, high quality streaming etc.

I was wondering if the Auto quality setting is Spotify also follows this kind of pattern.

This is where I was coming from.

Good to know that it doesn't. How do you know this?
Marked as solution

I'm glad I was able to help answer your more technical question!

I metered my raw data usage while streaming on various qualities on both my
Wi-Fi connection and my 4G connection to see if there was a difference in
the quality it pulled/streamed. Wi-Fi and 4G pulled Extreme quality at all
times as long as I had a connection (Above 190KBs audio quality).

>From there I tested from the same device with 4G toggled off, using 3G
instead and finally saw a drop in quality to what can be assumed as High
quality (below 190KBs but above 120).

Beyond and below that is Normal quality where it's between 90-140KBs. (You
notice static and a 'crunch' to the music).

Most phones have a data metering service in the application>data usage
section on Android so I was able to make easy notes as to the total data
pulled on WiFi and off.

I have read the entire thread and I still haven't found an entirely clear answer. By what Letsgo said it appears to select quality based on the abilty to stream at that quality, rather than type of connection. What I gather from users there is a strong  need to be able to limit quality on a wifi connection to minimise paid bandwidth usage. I'm still not sure if this actually happens. Spotify is opaque about how this function works, and also appears to be ignoring user needs. Personally I would like it to be able to automatically lower bandwidth on wifi, otherwise I'm happy to stay at extreme quality and if the streaming falters because of a bad signal I can deal with that.

I think people just want an actual concrete response directly from Spotify.

Yes your logic is sound, but official confimtion would be helpful.

Contrary to your post maybe speeds are at Normal on Cellular, and Extreme on Wifi, not necessarily based on cellular reception. Don't jump to conclusions.

It is awful though no Spotify employee has put this issue to bed for over a year.

Kinda worthless if it does indeed just modify quality based on data speed. I think I may want switch back to Google Music. As they have actual data limiting for mobile connections. I can set mobile to low for on the go listening. While Wi-Fi streams at max quality always. Shame this feature doesn't seem to exist with Spotify.

The setting is clearly titled "streaming quality," not 'data usage limiting.'

We are assuming that other countries have small limits on download on mobile - thats the issue here
Pretty sure automatic is just like a speed limit... ie if you can travel at 140klms in that speed limit then I will put my foot down and make this car fly... if you cant and its a 60 limit (3g) then I will back off (lower quality).

Spotify isnt designed just for us with limited download caps.. although it would be great to allow normal on cellular and extreme on home connection, not all countries have this problem at all as they have unlimited plans as standard

I hope ITTT comes up with a solution and integration...ie, if wifi connected spotify extreme, if no wifi then normal or lower

Is there to set automatic quality as normal and high, but not at extreme?

Suggested posts