Announcements

Streaming music on Apple Watch

Highlighted

Streaming music on Apple Watch

Casual Listener

Hi Spotify, 

I just wanted to say goodbye. You don’t stream on my Apple Watch so now I have to switch to Apple Music. I hate you for making me do this. 

Fellow users, if you are leaving because you also feel the Apple Watch app is lacking, please like this post. 

I feel that Spotify has had a long time to bring streaming to the watch app, but nothing has happened. 

-cheers

edit: you cannot stream Spotify with your watch, you can only control the music playing on your phone. By switching to Apple Music or Pandora Premium, I can ditch my phone when I go out on a run to exercise. Those services let me play music from my watch without having to carry around my phone. 

13 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Streaming music on Apple Watch

Rock Star 18
Rock Star 18

Hey there @jaaay

thanks for posting !

Spotify is indeed available on Apple Watch.

For further info on how to connect the two, please follow the instructions provided on this help page.

Let me know if you have any further questions 🙂

OneByBooRock Star 18
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
Highlighted

Casual Listener

@OneByBoo 

let me clarify, you can’t stream music from your watch, you can only use your watch as a remote control for the music playing in your phone. 

for example, I can’t take my Apple Watch out on a run without my phone and stream music. Apple Music lets me do that. Which is why I have to move over to Apple Music.

Pandora Premium lets me download playlists onto my watch so I can listen to music without my phone around. 

Spotify has some catching up to do. 

Highlighted

Music Fan

No. We want to be able to stream spotify over our cellular enabled watch WITHOUT being near our phone. Like Apple Music and Pandora do. Can spotify deliver this? Otherwise, count me in with folks that are leaving spotify premium (or family) plans, and switching to apple music. 

Highlighted

We've been waiting ages for this and it doesn't really seem they care. The cellular aspect doesn't apply to me as I have a GPS only watch but if I could download music to my watch that would be great.

Highlighted

Music Fan

I already cancelled my family account, and moved to Apple music. There was a bit of a learning curve (about 2 days), but I have no regrets. Music catalougue is fairly comparable, and with some 3rd party apps, you can transfer your playlists from one service to the other. No issues. I can now stream music when I go run\workout without lugging my phone with me. Good job spotify, you lost a user (and not just temporarily). I know that I am just one (family of 5) user, so it probably doesnt matter that much to y'all anyway. 

Highlighted

Casual Listener

Holding my breath (a while longer) yet... but the lack of features like streaming to the wearable or say, to Chromecast from the desktop app (without the hacky workaround of launching the web player to stream then being allowed to on the desktop) are long long long overdue that make me question why I’m still here... 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Highlighted

I really don’t understand why Spotify won’t fix this issue.  Streaming Spotify without the phone is not available.  Spotify completely ignores the question.  I’m done with Spotify.  Apple Music is very comparable to Spotify now and it streams without a phone on a Apple Watch.

Highlighted

It is just a controller not app. We need streaming on watch over 4g and wify without phone.
Highlighted

Hey all, 

Thank you for reaching out about this here in the Community.

It'd be great if you'd have a look at this idea. If that resonates with what you're interested in, make sure to add your +VOTE there and subscribe to the topic. That way you'll be notified with all the future updates on that case. 

If it's not exactly what you'd want to see implemented, you're always welcome to post your own thoughts in the Idea Exchange. For more details on that, check this article

Hope you'll find this info useful. Have a nice (and a safe) day!

MarioModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"There's more to living than only surviving." - Dexter Holland
SUGGESTED POSTS