Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sync offline music to 5th generation iPod classic

Sync offline music to 5th generation iPod classic

I want to give my son a safe listening experience, i.e. no Android or iOS smartphone.

My old 5th gen iPod classic still works like a charm and would be perfect for that.

However I can' get the Spotify App on my Mac ( Catalina 10.15.6) to recognize the device, when it is plugged in via USB. don't have iTunes(not supported on Catalina anyway) and Apple Music App is not running. 
Is this classic device still supported by the Spotify App?

And if not 😞 is there any other way to give him a safe, simple listening experience without all the smartphone or tablet whistles and bells? Raspberry Pi would be great as well, but afaik that would only work with Android on it and then I would be in the same/similar situation as with a smartphone.

3 Replies

Hey @kskoeld, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

In order to use the app and to ensure the Spotify app works perfectly, you would need to have a device with iOS 12 or later. The iPod Touch 5th generation’s iOS version is currently iOS 9.3.5. 

There is some more information on the system requirements to use Spotify in this support article. I tried to find a way to sync music through another service to the iPod but I couldn’t find any, or any official service besides Spotify. 

Hope this clears things up. Don’t hesitate to reach back out if you need anything else!

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

This question was in relation to the 5th gen IPod classic not the IPod touch you are talking about

Hey there @Paint_Man,

Thanks for sharing this!

As @billy shared above, in order for Spotify to work properly on a device like the iPod Classic, it'd need to meet Spotify's minimum system requirements.

You can double check the OS (operating system) version that device has with the minimum system requirements in the link he shared above 🙂

You can also check out this Spotify Answer for more details if it's not supported.

Hope this is helpful but don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Suggested posts