Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

The Dreaded Only Local Files Can Be Synced Message.

The Dreaded Only Local Files Can Be Synced Message.

Hi. 

I am using the spotify premium trial and trying to download the music on spotify to my ipod nano. After digging around on the internet and trying some things out myself, I have learned it to be impossible to sync spotify music onto the ipod nano, classic, or shuffle. I was really hoping that spotify could be a secondary music source but that clearly won't be the case if I can't even get the music onto my ipod. Could someone please fix this problem? Find a way to make the older ipods compatible with spotify somehow? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

8 Replies

Its not possible due to licensing restrictions unfortuantely. 

Spotify relies on a closed system where Spotify content is played via the Spotify application which tracks play counts in order to ensure artists are fairly paid and to prevent track piracy. 

Adding this functionality was discussed in this topic

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Gerfman - Peter's right. You'll only be able to sync Spotify tracks to a Spotify app.

Have a look at Jude's post here... http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-iOS-iPhone-iPad-iPod-Touch/READ-ME-Important-points-regarding-i...
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Yeh it's a shame Spotify Premium can't be honest to people and say BEFORE people use the trial that it doesn't work with old i-pods the fact is regardless of what device you use nothing is going to stop people downloading the stuff they want and then cancelling to say you can't because of the law is ridiculous.Spotify premium will never catch on as there are at least twenty different sites on internet where you can download songs on to mp3 for nothing.

Can I just ask what the hell the point is of syncing your ipod to Spotify when you have a premium account (like I have). All your playlists come up and it is incredibly frustrating to see that stupid little sign "- only local files synced". Why would I want to sync my ipod with Spotify if I have to erase all the music on it and can't put any of my playlists on it? It's a pointless function. i may as well just sync it with iTunes 

The benefit is that you can use just one desktop programme to manage your spotify and local music, rather than using spotify for spotify content and itunes for local files.

I take your point, but I don't like how Spotify aren't more explicit about this. It teases you by making you think that you can download your treasured playlists to your iPod shuffle, but the annoying reality is that you can't. Spotify should at least better-inform their consumers instead of keeping it all hush-hush in order to attract custom. As a result of this I'm a slightly unhappy customer, but won't stop using Spotify because I've discovered so much amazing new music with it. 

I don't think they hide the fact deliberately but I imagine the marketing guys would throw a fit if they had to include exceptions in their promotional material. The free trials at least give everyone a chance to see if things work as expected.

Exactly, I signed on for premium in the belief that my playlists could be synched to my ipod, indeed their come on encourages one to think this. Cancelling premium the second i finsh typing this...

Suggested posts