Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

The limitations of the app for ios

The limitations of the app for ios

I have looked around and read the reports of the ios app not working for people.  As there is no clear cache option, we are forced to uninstall and reinstall the app when we want to free up space.   Well, although this is an annoyance, I really don't have a problem with it.  EXCEPT FOR THE FACT THAT I CAN'T REINSTALL!!!  I have a lot of playlists.  I assume that the app freezes and crashes when I log in after reinstalling because it can't handle loading the number of playlists I have. 

I love the service, and I think it's the best of its kind.  But before I go into my desktop application and delete all my playlists (which is what I assume I will end up having to do), I'd like to get an official response from Spotify, so that I don't unecessarily undo what took me hours and hours and hours of work to establish.  

Is there an explanation for this?   I CANNOT get my playlists to load (or even show up) after I uninstall and reinstall.  As soon as I connect to a wifi network (using an ipod), the app freezes, and eventually crashes.  Do I just have too many playlists?    A response would be highly appreciated. 

3 Replies

I've got a couple other things to add.  

One, the only way I can get the app to function at all after reinstalling is to turn my wifi off, log into the app with my spotify credentials, turn offline mode on, turn my wifi back on, turn offline mode off, and IMMEDIATELY go to radio and start playing a station.  I can get an entire song to play by swiping my finger as to change tracks, and not letting my finger release from the screen.  When that track ends, the app is still not frozen.  I can swipe to the right to get the next track, but once I do that, the app freezes.  That next track will play for a while, but the app will crash sooner than later.

Second, I think the mobile application needs to be rebuilt.  It should be designed so that you must log into your account on a desktop computer, and then the playlists that you even want to SHOW UP AT ALL on the mobile device should be selected from there.  I have a feeling that the instability of the mobile app is  due to overload of information.  What's even the point of having 2000 playlists show up on your mobile device if, for the 3333 song limit, and capacity issues, you couldn't even have close to everything synced for offline play...

I really don't want to leave Spotify.  If I am forced to, I will just delete the playlists on my desktop application.  But that would surely annoy me pretty good.   

Again, any kind of response from a moderator would be highly appreciated, because I pay for this service, and, as far as I can tell, I can't even use it, the way I have things set up.

Hello.

You currently have 3604 playlists on your account. While there isn't strictly a limit on the number of playlists on your account, anything over 500 (at a guess) would require a rather large data pull from our servers to ensure that your playlists are up to date. This would be what is causing the application to panic and crash. 

I noticed that you seemed to have a lot of individual albums in seperate playlists. One thing you might want to do is to combine albums by a single artist into a single playlist, which would ease some of the load in this case. 

Airhorn Enthusiast

Thanks for the response.   When I first started using the service, I did lump every album by each artist I was interested in into one playlist for that artist.  The reason I abandonded that model was because syncing EVERY single album by an artist when I only wanted to listen to (say, 1 album out of 15) was a burden, both on my device's capacity, and on my ability to listen to a myriad of artists per sync.  

What I will probably do for now is delete my playlists, and keep a log of artists I enjoy in a handwritten list.   This way my mobile app will work, and all I will have to do is refer to my handwritten list of artsits in order to search and then sync my device.

With that said, I really do think the mobile app would be much much better if it didn't require a full loading of every single playlist on the account.   I feel that the account should contain the information of potential playlists (established, potential to sync), and from the account, information should be sent to the mobile application, in regards to what playlists it registers to begin with, at a given point in time.  

Again, thanks for the response.  Your response at least brought some clarity to the situation.  

Suggested posts