Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Touch Preview on iOS removal

Touch Preview on iOS removal

Hey folks, Spotify here!

Just a quick post to let you know we’re in the process of removing Touch Preview, the feature on the iOS app that gives you a sneak peek of a playlist, song, album, or artist before you hit play.

We’ve taken this decision as it currently has a very low engagement rate. We’re committed to offering the best experience on each platform, and we’re actively looking into new possibilities for the long press feature.

The change will take effect with app version 8.4.15, which goes live in the App Store today.

We’d love to hear your thoughts on what long press feature you’d like to see added. Thanks in advance for sharing your feedback!

427 Replies

I don’t get it?

Before you substitute something in you should find something to replace it with. When browsing for new music this function is extremely valuable.

Thought it was a bug. What a shame.

I will also chime in that this one of the best differentiating features about Spotify to me... Super useful for skimming through music. Please bring it back!

Rest In Peace to those who wanted to discover new music. Rest In Peace my friends, it was an honor. 

@Derots wrote:

@StartGroup wrote:

Chirp Chirp Chirp.... Please respond with something Spotify!

Yes, that is exactly what i am asking for in this post:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/iOS-iPhone-iPad/We-want-an-update-on-the-Touch-Preview-status/td-p/...

A reaction, that is more than referring to a month old statement. Following 32 pages of comments and more than 1400 votes, that is the minimum they can do.

Are we never getting Touch Preview back?!!  I will not allow that.

Unless there is an alternative.

Incredibly frustrated by this. I don’t see why it was necessary to remove this feature even if it had “low engagement” - maybe the problem was that the feature was not widely known about among casual users? Why not do a better job highlighting the ability to preview songs, rather than deleting it? It takes forever to go through my Discovery Weekly playlist, or catch up on music from a new artist I discover, and previewing the songs helped me get a quick overview of what I may or may not like. Really really hope they will bring this back or invent a new feature that has similar capabilities. 

This is complete nonsense. Ever considered that usage rates may be “low” because many users were simply unaware the feature even existed? Touch preview was a brilliant feature. If you need to axe anything, make it the ridiculous camera-engaging code scanner. Now that is actually unnecessary. Would love to see the “usage statistics” on that one.....

The Spotify apps are just becoming more bloated and clunky with less and less features as time goes on. Are the developers literally trying to drive their service into the ground? 

I just decided that i've given spotify long enough to give us a meaningful response on this feature change.  Our voices and votes doesn't seem to be heard on this forum.  So I just "voted" with something that they can hear... my wallet.  Yes, I just cancelled my family membership. 

For those who are interested in following... If you cancel your membership, you can still use the service until the end of your billing cycle.  

When you cancel, there is a comment box asking for feedback on why you cancelled.  You'd better I believe I let them know it was because of this feature removal alone.  

Finally, if you cancel and are looking to move to another service, this website:  https://freeyourmusic.com makes it easy to move your playlists.   

Spotify, if you are listening, I'll be back if you bring back touch preview (unless another service beats you to it).    

This was the BEST feature of spotify, allowing you to skim music quickly discover new artist and see if you wanted to listen to the album or songs.  This was great for helping me discover new music each Friday.  Reverting to having to go into random albums and cruise through each song is painstaking slow. Why is Spotify UI getting worse.  First the removal of sending friends on Spotify songs or albums directly, now this.  Going to give it a month and start to consider whether I keep my service.  I already get Amazon Music as part of being a Prime member and willingly pay extra for this service, but am seeing less and less of a reason to keep it. 

Guys, after all this time since Touch Preview was removed, why hasn’t the removal and backlash made news elsewhere?

The articles annoucing the implementation of Touch Preview back in 2015 have not been updated to say the feature was removed.

We really need to fix that.

3D touch preview was literally my favorite feature and the deal breaker between Spotify and Apple Music. I hate to say it but with the loss of this feature I will be returning to Apple Music. 😞

Terrible decision. Makes life so much harder when searching for a specific song. Absolute liberty.  Bring back this feature ASAP. 

Whhhyyyyy????? This was my favorite feature. Now I'm so aggravated I don't even want to keep my premium account any longer 😞

They’re still not responding to us. This is f*****g ridiculous. 

We should give them a lesson by discontinuing the sunscription. I already did. No response, it’s like talking to the wall

Sorry spotify but I’ve just downloaded Tidal 

bring back this feature! “low engagement rate” seems like a ridiculous reason to remove a feature. did you add something in it’s place? did it get buggy and you couldn’t fix it so you just got rid of it instead?

shame on you, spotify. i would have rather kept the old version that maintained the Touch Preview if i knew you were going to be getting rid of it. ridiculous.

Extremely disappointed this was removed. It was my favorite feature. I see no reason to remove it because of low engagement. Just taking away from the people who use your app most seriously. Bad bad move. 

Exactly this. It became buggy so they have decided to get rid this awesome feature. God damnit. I think it's time to ditch family plan and go back to Apple Music with my family.

Without this feature I've already stopped browsing Spotify to find new artists and songs. Now Im all about finding new releases based on the news from the blogs. 

They messed up with this removal 😞

Suggested posts