Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Touch Preview on iOS removal

Touch Preview on iOS removal

Hey folks, Spotify here!

Just a quick post to let you know we’re in the process of removing Touch Preview, the feature on the iOS app that gives you a sneak peek of a playlist, song, album, or artist before you hit play.

We’ve taken this decision as it currently has a very low engagement rate. We’re committed to offering the best experience on each platform, and we’re actively looking into new possibilities for the long press feature.

The change will take effect with app version 8.4.15, which goes live in the App Store today.

We’d love to hear your thoughts on what long press feature you’d like to see added. Thanks in advance for sharing your feedback!

Top Answer
MattSuda
Spotify Star

If you would like to see Touch Preview come back, you can add your vote to this idea:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/iOS-Discover-Restore-Touch-Preview-on-iOS-App/idi-p/1900370

427 Replies

Hi, I'm very astonished to hear that touch review obviously was not used often and is therefore removed. For me it was the highlight in quick search of music and I enjoyed it very much. So if you ask for a feature to be integrated in spotify: Please give me back my touch preview!

Best regards
Jens

I cancel subscription this month. Just continue with ignoring your customers.

Ive just started my trials with Apple Music and Tidal so ...yeah...

I cancelled mine too. Already transferred my playlists over. Cancelled due to no response from company on this topic. 

Signed in just to say that I’m also extremely disappointed about the removal this feature. I’ve found myself caring very little for discovering new music the last couple of months. I used to love previewing songs as I listened to others, it was so awesome. I would spend hours just discovering music but now it’s not nearly as easy to quickly listen to the middle of a song and move on to another. Thanks for killing my enjoyment with your app, devs.

BRING IT BACK! Please! Just when I wanted to make more use of it, it gets taken away 😭 it was a great feature 

I agree with others that the long press feature was one of the best ways to discover new music. Perhaps the low engagement mentioned by Spotify was down to lack of awareness of this feature by users. Just ask Apple how many IOS users, use things like the magnify function. Preview is an important feature that should be returned in the next update. 

Every update removes something but doesnt add anything. Now SoundCloud or even Youtube is better to find something new than Spotify.

We don't have:

• 3d touch to preview
  • light theme (god this app is almost unusable in the bright sun with this dark theme)
  • unintuitive offline library manager
  • gesture support not in every menu/submenu (I mean why do I have to click almost on everything instead of swiping left to delete from my playlist or history and swiping right to add to desired playlist)
  • no "Delete recent" with one click
  • terrible "downloaded" podcasts support
  • unconsistent UI - why there is regular UI and different one (nicer imo) for playlists created by Spotify?

Oh Ive forgot we got playlist that reminds us songs from our teenage years - awesome!!! /s

For god sakes Spotify!? Why remove ? Why go backwards? Time moves forward, so should the app and its advancements - it takes an awkward amount of time finding certain songs now, and the useful feature taking advantage of 3D Touch is gone 

Please bring this feature back. I used this so much when making playlists. This feature encouraged me to become a premium member. 

Bring back this feature it's what made you different to your competitors!

Surely by this blog post and the voting that is being taken place it shows that it was being used?

Bring back.

This process doesn’t make sense. You took away a long-press feature we liked, THEN asked what we would like ADDED? Why not give some options of what we could substitute for Song Preview, then make the change? MAYBE we liked what we had.

@JackF wrote:

Hey folks, Spotify here!

Just a quick post to let you know we’re in the process of removing Touch Preview, the feature on the iOS app that gives you a sneak peek of a playlist, song, album, or artist before you hit play.

We’ve taken this decision as it currently has a very low engagement rate. We’re committed to offering the best experience on each platform, and we’re actively looking into new possibilities for the long press feature.

The change will take effect with app version 8.4.15, which goes live in the App Store today.

We’d love to hear your thoughts on what long press feature you’d like to see added. Thanks in advance for sharing your feedback!

The removal of Touch Preview needs to make news....

NOW!!!

I thought it was just a bug on my phone... but seeing that you’ve completely gotten rid of it breaks my heart. 

Those of us who actively engaged with the feature did so, frequently. As if it was apart of our daily routine. 

When I’m queuing song before I get ready to hop in the shower, or just get ready in the morning... it was so nice to sample each track and playlist to ensure that it fit my mood or what I wanted to listen to at the moment. 

Please bring it back

Please bring touch preview back. It might have had a low engagement rate, but for those of us who used it a lot the app feels clunky and unusable now. Fed up of Spotify chipping away at features while not reducing the price of premium. I’m going to use up my month and then switch over to Apple Music.

This was a killer feature..

Very sad to see it has been removed.

Put the touch preview back, it’s extremley useful when you want to preview music. You say you removed it because it had a low usage rate, maybe not enough people knew about it? Either way, removing it as not a good idea and you should make it an optional operation that can be turned on and off at the very least. Don’t mess my preview.

Simply stated that was one of the best features on the app because I was basically able to listen to a whole album within minutes rather than listening to the whole 45+ it usually lasts. BRING BACK TOUCH PREVIEW!!!

I love their update logs “We’re always making changes and improvements to Spotify. To make sure you don’t miss a thing, just keep your updates turned on”

Well I wish I missed that update! I haven’t seen and improvement after that update (besides under the hood security updates)

What a joke of an update, I thought updates made things better. Nightmare to use now.   Joke

I really liked this feature and wish you guys would bring it back! I do think it didn't have much usage because not many people knew about the feature

Suggested posts