Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Touch Preview on iOS removal

Touch Preview on iOS removal

Hey folks, Spotify here!

Just a quick post to let you know we’re in the process of removing Touch Preview, the feature on the iOS app that gives you a sneak peek of a playlist, song, album, or artist before you hit play.

We’ve taken this decision as it currently has a very low engagement rate. We’re committed to offering the best experience on each platform, and we’re actively looking into new possibilities for the long press feature.

The change will take effect with app version 8.4.15, which goes live in the App Store today.

We’d love to hear your thoughts on what long press feature you’d like to see added. Thanks in advance for sharing your feedback!

Top Answer
MattSuda
Spotify Star

If you would like to see Touch Preview come back, you can add your vote to this idea:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/iOS-Discover-Restore-Touch-Preview-on-iOS-App/idi-p/1900370

427 Replies

Exacty. Great words.

Even worse, they take away features with a promise to enhance them (just like the lyrics feature). And they don't really care about the customers feedback. Other than register our dissatisfaction here, we will just wasting time if we expect for a response from Spotify. 

Just too full of themselves, as the similar services don't offer these features as well. No respect for early customers at all. Shameful. 

These features have a cost to develop and maintain. Since they built a large and comfortable customer base, they now can have the luxury of stripping the service down to the minimum to compete and maximize profits while keeping (or increasing) the price for premium users. Whenever they see customers migrating or the curve of new customers slowing down, they can always add them again or release new ones. It is a dangerous bet though. 

Please bring it back, it was great.

Thank you for your amazing service!

I love Spotify as it’s my only platform of music I use. I really thought the touch preview made it very easy exploring and finding new music and am so dissapointed it’s gone. Also really wish there was an option to have the newest songs on the top of the playlists instead of going through 800 songs to get to what was recently added. 

Really disappointed. I loved this feature! Please bring it back!

This is stupid, it’s too much music out there to listen to the whole song to get a feel if you like it. My overall engagement on your app has gone down and if one of your competitors comes out with the preview feature. I’m switching right away. Four thumbs down for Spotify. 

It's the worst choice that you've ever done.

Is there anyone at Spotify interested in this feedback or this just supposed to be a thearpeutic sounding board for digruntled users?  

Crickets from the UX team is pretty disappointing for a company of this calibre. 

When I found out that this had happened I was extreemly disapointed as I allways used the feature,

getting rid of it as it suposedly 'Was not used enough' is the most absurd thing I had ever heard.

This was a feature that made spotify standout and I and the rest of the community (The world) would love nothing more that for this feature to be reimplemented into the app. 

Please, Please do this

Bring it back! Previews are key for playlist building which is what the app is best at. 

I know this has been discussed numerous times before, but I can't stress the importance of it, as Spotify & C/o keeps ignoring it;

Write proper release notes ffs!

How would You react if <insert developer tool> update is being pushed without proper release notes?

I bet that the majority of people in this thread would have ceased upgrading due to the removal of the Touch Preview function, until it had been reintroduced. Luckily, I had an option to revert to a version that still had Touch Preview.

My thoughts to those who don't.

How could you revert???

without this feature confirming adding the correct song to your playlist is a nightmare. i have to go look the song up on itunes, preview it there then find that version on spotify. without the touch preview i will be switching to apple music, i like spotify as a platform better but it’s just too disruptive removing this feature. it also makes it difficult to try new muisc without being about to sample songs on a album or playlist. 

This is infuriating. Please fire your product manager and bring back touch preview. 

Argh... you Spotify You!
this was the only future why i showed it to all my friends that subscribed and everyone LOVED IT!

i think i will unsubscribe with my whole familly and we go to apples service as it interacts with ios better...
either way, its on you! You removed the future why we came to you IN THE FIRST PLACE.

have fun. Was great as it lasted.

Low engagement? I used it all the time, and I know others who did too. Maybe you didn’t make it very obvious it was there. I bet if you do, more people will learn it’s there and use it. 

He reverted probably through an Backup which had the spotify app with touch preview. At least that‘s what i did. Haven‘t updated my spotify app since 

I really did enjoy the preview touch and hope it comes back in the future. I used it a lot! Especially when my phone was connected with my Sonos or Bluetooth device it never interrupted my que. So convenient.

Unfortunately I only discovered the preview feature just shortly before it disappeared. I sincerely hope to see it return.

I used this feature, but to **bleep** with my money, right? Not enough people used it so you deliberately removed it? Spotify is getting worse and worse. No wonder people on android are hacking their app to cut ads. 

It's been quite some time since you removed this function and to be honest I still miss it pretty much. I often what to check a playlist etc if it fits my current music moot without leaving the list I'm currently listing to. 

So far you didn't release a new feature, so please bring back this function. BTW it is one of the reasons why I choose Spotify before other services and if users don't know the function you should probably tell them about 😊

Suggested posts