Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Verizon - charging massive data fee for using Spotify on iPhone6

Verizon - charging massive data fee for using Spotify on iPhone6

Since May 2016 Verizon has been charging massive data usage fees for using Spotify. In June, it was 18GB! Our normal usage is less than 3GB. My daughter got an iPhone 6 in April. No problem in April. Seriously increase data usage started in May and escalated in June.

She downloads songs occasionally and plays Spotify a lot - particularly in her car. She says she hasn't made any changes to her settings.

Verizon is disappointingly unhelpful. All they say is to turn off data usage and the data assist if Internet connection poor.

Has Spotify changed? Does Spotify now charge large data amounts for listening to downloaded music?

Angry and confused. Will probably change carriers very soon.

4 Replies

I think the best practice would be to make available offline some music for on-the-go and set the streaming defaults to normal quality for when your daughter streams music through her data plan. Otherwise; you could change her plan to a limited data plan. Hope this helps.

-FM

-FMphoto_2016-07-07_15-27-11.jpg

Spotify

Finisimafm, thank you for your useful reply. How would she make available
Spotify music off-line? Why couldn't she get all her music offline? Any idea
what might have caused this major data usage?
billhunt

Maybe she didn't set to off, where it says "download cellular data" in settings. Maybe that was it. The best way to download music is using wifi at home, and then she could go offline in the Spotify settings in her cell phone. This way Spotify won't use any data.

-FM

Spotify

Again, thanks for your suggestion. She has downloaded Spotify music for
years with the "download cellular data" button on. I will pass your
suggestion about downloading music using her home Internet connection and
going off-line to listen to her music.

Suggested posts