Very high data usage

Solved!

Re: Very high data usage

alialiali1
Regular

I'm having the same issue. Just got an alert that I used 7GB of data (95% of it was Spotify) in 10 days. All the music I listen to is offline. I reset all stats, listened to offline-only music for 25minutes and ended up with 42MB of Spotify data usage.

razum
Regular
I have the same problem. Did you find any solution?

Punk_Life75
Music Fan

No, I have just switched the mobile data off for spotify.

robcmcdonald
Casual Listener

My issue earlier this year (insanely high data usage, even when listening to already saved music) was fixed by a Spotify update. The issue was although the music is saved to your device, the album artwork isn't, and it got stuck in a loop of trying to download the artwork but failing. It would happen continuously, so I was essentially sucking data from the ether as fast as my provider would allow. Would rack up over half a gigabyte in less time than it takes to walk to the shops.

My advice is to notify support/accounts, turn off mobile data for Spotify and hopefully they have a solution soon. Keep a record of your data usage (iPhone will track how much data each app is using, but you need to clear it manually, so maybe try taking screenshots of the data use every few minutes if you need to demonstrate what's happening). I also gave them copies of my phone bill which itemizes data use in blocks, and there were periods of about fifteen minutes where every minute would use EXACTLY the same amount of data (around 52MB), and would only happen when I was out of the house... listening to Spotify.

I found that the customer service was reluctant to provide any sort of compensation for the insane data usage, they eventually offered me a free month, but seeing as I had racked up over three gigabytes of data use over my plan, I didn't budge and they finally offered me three which I took. So my advice:

1. Turn off mobile data

2. If neccessary, track your data use and be thorough with it

3. Don't take measly offers if their bug is costing you considerable money

4. Pester for a fix/update ASAP

Loopingstar
Gig Goer

I just listened to 3 new songs on the normal quality setting and it used up 178MB of data . Ouch ! 

Obviously a major bug 

razum
Regular

Yeah, seems like the exactly same problem as on my phone, since artworks are always disappering when opening the app after few minutes. It probably just downloads all songs from the internet, even though all of them are saved in my device in the highest quality...

I turned off mobile data for now.

jajoho
Spotify version: 6.8.0.3786 (just released)
iOS 10: 10.0.3
Streaming quality (recommended)

Cleared roaming data and streamed one song with data usage reaching 120 MB. As mentioned earlier, the data usage is extreme. For this became an issue when upgrading to the new iPhone 7. Haven't changed any of the settings.

When could We expect a fix?

razum
Regular

I think the only fix is the Apple Music :p

Musabadiane
Music Fan

I have excatly the same problem, very high data consuption even on offline synced playlists, when can we have a fix? 

Punk_Life75
Music Fan

I was told be the techs to:

"To ensure you’re running the fixed version, we recommend fully closing and reopening the app twice.

1. Double-tap the Home button on your iPhone.
  2. Swipe up on Spotify to remove it from your running apps.
  3. Reopen Spotify.
  4. Double-tap the Home button on your iPhone.
  5. Swipe up on Spotify to remove it from your running apps again."

Doesn't seemed to have completely worked for me but improved it slightly.

SUGGESTED POSTS