Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Volume control doesn't work with Sonos

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device iPhone 7

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.) iOS 12.3

My Question or Issue

This problem started only recently. Despite being able to control the Sonos volume from the Sonos app slider, I can't use the Spotify slider to control it accurately. It is delayed and then slides back and forth on its own, fluctuating the sound. I can't use the hardware volume control for either Spotify or Sonos. This happens whether I have the Spotify app open only or both the Spotify and Sonos apps.

THIS HAPPENS ONLY WHEN I AM PLAYING SPOTIFY THROUGH SONOS. If playing Spotify alone on my iPhone it works fine, with either the app or hardware volume controls. Same with using only Sonos.

I have the proper settings on for integrating Spotify and Sonos. Also to allow hardware volume control through my phone app. None have been charged from when this all worked. I've used both apps for years. This has never happened before.

I am using an iPhone 7, running iOS 12.3.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone! Just make sure your app is updated to the latest version.

If you're still having trouble, make sure to post a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks!

Comments
peterhoa

I have exactly the same problem.  Started recently (Last update?).  Controlling the SONOS volume from within the spotify app is extremly unstable and unreliable.  When you move the volume control it jerks/slides up and down of its own accord.  It's impossible to set the volume to a desired level.  If you go into the SONOS app you can control the volume accurately.  But you should not have to do this.  This also affects controling the volume from the spotify widget on the lock screen.

Note: been using Spotify connect every day with SONOS since it was released several years ago and this is a new problem.  No settings at this end have changed. Using IOS 12.3.1 on iPad.

alexn1336

I have the same problem as well. I'm running android 10 on a samsung galaxy s10e and i usually play music through spotify to sonos, not from the sonos app. Controlling sonos volume while the spotify app is open works but from the lock screen, nothing happens. The only way to do it that I've found is to play from the spotify app. I've tried disabling hardware controls from the sonos app but that only disabled sonos volume control when playing through sonos.

Ivan

Hey folks, 

Thanks for reaching out to the Community about this. 

Just to confirm, have you tried a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your mobile? We recommend this step as it'll remove the old drivers first and then install the new ones. It'll also get you the latest version of Spotify. These changes tend to solve issues like the one you're experiencing.

Give your device a quick restart as well before you open the newly installed app. 

It's also a good idea to reboot your Sonos speaker in order to give the device a fresh restart. We suggest you check this help page for more info on how you do that.  

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes. 

Jacobjuul

This doesn’t help at all. I’ve had this problem for 1 year now 

Chrissy9

Ivan was not giving any solution to this problem. Clean reinstall and restart don't work. The volume controll have a pretty big delay (5-15 seconds) when using the Spotify app (been like this around 1 year). The respons time in the Sonos app is real time!

Does any one have a solution for this? 

Unfortunately, I think this must be solved by the engineers of the Spotify app.

pumany

Where are the answers to these issues? Why isn’t Spotify responding? Am I missing something or are we paying for a service without getting support??

Jacobjuul

The only solution for me is to use the volume controls on the speaker instead of Spotify. 

austenpowers1

I had the sane same thing on my S8+ and the only thing that worked was to turn off the phone option of using side volume keys to control media. Then they work in the spotify app as intended.

Hope that helps

Chrissy9

The problem is finally solved with the new update 

Merkleyb

It’s still happening with mine, I’m on automatic updates.  Only when I first connect to Sonos does the volume go crazy.  Maybe the new update hasn’t came yet for mine?