Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Werid Artist View issue

Werid Artist View issue

So, I've been using Spotify for 6 months now, love it! Switched from Rhapsody because of their slow updates, bad looking apps and lack of iPad app. Spotify has so far blown Rhapsody out of the water for me.

I use the iPhone app almost every day. I have switched to the iPad app for home use because it gives a little more advanced Artist View than the iPhone version. or so I thought...

So my wife has a Rhapsody account and I've been trying to get her to switch over to Spotify since the first week I joined. I finally grabbed her phone today and set her up. So I logged in on her iPhone and started setting up some simple playlists to get her started and when I searched for Beastie Boys I was surprised to see this awesome Artist View that I've been hoping for since I signed up. It had everything I wanted on it. I thought that somehow they updated the Artist View and I hadn't seen it or wasn't paying attention since the update but I opened up Spotify on my iPhone and did the same search and got the same boring Artist View I've always had. Even weirder, if I sign into her account on my phone I get the new view instead of my usual, but when I log back in as me same old view, so it has to be something with the account.

What gives? Why does my wife have the awesome Artist View where mine seems to be stuck in an old fashioned Artist View? Is there somewhere I can upgrade my account or something? I really want that new view so bad!

Here is what my Artist View looks like:

photo 3

And here's what it looks like on my wife's iPhone:

photo 1

So How do I get this awesome new version? Does anybody know? Or maybe somebody could point me to a forum post about this if there is one? I didn't find anything in my search.

14 Replies

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

It looks like your Wife has the new Follow system and you don't for some reason. 

Can you try logging into the desktop version of Spotify and see if that will "update" your account? It could be a caching issue in the application too, so a clean reinstallation of the app might be a good idea so see if that bumps your pages to the new versions. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Wow! That was a quick response. I do use the desktop app too so I tried logging out of that and back in and it seems the same there and when I restarted the iPhone app it was the same. I have already tried to do the uninstall and reinstalling the app on the iphone with the exception of the restart between the two... I'm giving that a try now and will let you know if that fixes it.

Thanks for the quick response!

@thisishuey wrote:

Wow! That was a quick response. I do use the desktop app too so I tried logging out of that and back in and it seems the same there and when I restarted the iPhone app it was the same. I have already tried to do the uninstall and reinstalling the app on the iphone with the exception of the restart between the two... I'm giving that a try now and will let you know if that fixes it.

Thanks for the quick response!

No worries, let me know! 😉

Peter

Peter

Hmmm... No dice with either option. Is there something in the desktop version that would tell me if I had the new follow system there? I see follow buttons all over the place and a follow tab, don't know if there is something that would distinguish it from the non-follow system. I uninstalled the iPhone app, restarted the phone and reinstalled the app and it's same as it was before.

Do you both have the same version of Spotify installed on your iPhones? 

There have been some changes recently, so I am wondering is this just a version difference. 

Peter

Peter

Yeah, see, that's the funny thing. I can log into my app with her login and get the new view but then log back in with my account (both on the same phone) and still get the old view.

@thisishuey wrote:

Yeah, see, that's the funny thing. I can log into my app with her login and get the new view but then log back in with my account (both on the same phone) and still get the old view.

I will admit, this one has me stumped! 

Let me see if I can get some staff input on this, although since its Sunday night it will probably be tomorrow before there is a reply 😉

Peter

Peter

Sounds good... I am anxious to get the new view, I seriously have been hoping for that exact view since the day I signed up, it was the only thing that I missed about Rhapsody, but I can wait, I GUESS! 😉

Thanks for all the help!

We're rolling that new iOS artist page view out slowly (to about 1% of users at the moment I believe). Seems your wife is in the 1% and you're not, but don't worry, it shouldn't be too long before everyone has it. Glad you like it by the way!

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

Thanks for the updates! I will wait here impatiently for my update. I just wish my wife new how lucky she is, I don't think she fully understands the difference not having used the old version. 😉

So what happened here? I never got the updated artist view and worse yet, my wife's Spotify reverted to the same view as mine. No more top songs, no more related artists, just albums.

That is a great question.  I don't hAve it either.  It's like the new now playing view that started rolling out in early July, which many of us don't have.  Why.  Does.  Spotify.  Do. This.  I can understand a few weeks to roll out a new feature, but not a few months.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Exactly, I left Rhapsody because they couldn't keep up with the functionality that Spotify had, now it turns out that Rhapsody has better features than Spotify and they updated their app to look great!

Rhapsody had Top Tracks and Related Artists since day 1 in their app, and that was YEARS ago! Rhapsody also has the ability to download albums instead of having to make a playlist out of everything you want to download. What a shame!

The problem with this new method of feature delivery is that now nobody knows what features they are going to get. It was nice before because you would get an update in the app store and you could see the new features that were being added to everybody's version of the app. Now, who knows what you'll get?

My wife is going to kill me if we have to switch back to Rhapsody! 😉

Just curious, how do you get to the artist biography in that interface?

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Suggested posts