Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

What is the purpose for "offline sync"

What is the purpose for "offline sync"

I do not understand it! Recently I get on an airplane without Wifi and I follow their instructions to switch off the phone during take off. What I do is put the phone into airplane mode and then shut it off so that when I turn it back on there isn't any transmission. 

So I do all this and try to listen to Spotify in the 9hrs 30 minutes of the flight and guess what YOU CANT. You open Spotify App and it requests to connect to facebook website so you can login.

I have been contacting "Spotify Support" And they can't help or explain at all! So can anyone explain how Spotify can work without an internet connection without having to know in advance? I don't understand why I pay for the service and they claim for "offline sync" if the app itself can not cope with being offline and disconnected from the network. 

6 Replies

What I do is when I am on a WIFI I select what playlists I want available offline. Let the phone/Spotify download all the songs. I think you've done this already.

Then I put Spotify in OFFLINE-mode. I quit the app WITHOUT logging out.

Then when I want to listen to the songs when there are no WIFI around I simply start up Spotify (which should be in offline-mode still) and all the playlists that has a song available in offline-mode are dark (all the others grey.)

This works for me. However, I don't have any FB so I'm don't know how that works really.

Well I don't want to plan when I will and will not have internet access!

So I should put spotify in offline mode and always use it like that, and when I want to add new songs use online mode for that brief moment?

I'm glad you found a solution to your problem. And I'm glad there now is an option to detach Spotify from FB.

But to clarify, I never log out from Spotify; only puts it in offline-mode. No need to log in when I start the app again. Then I don't have to plan when or when I don't have a WiFI available. Anyway, you got it fixed and that's what counts.

@Robbify wrote:

I'm glad you found a solution to your problem. And I'm glad there now is an option to detach Spotify from FB.

Users that joined via Facebook cannot detach their FB from Spotify. We've deleted the above post with instructions on separating the accounts as this will cause errors within the client. 

For more information, please see Richard's post here

Robbify, I did never intend to log out, but when a Facebook account is used to login when the device is restarted an internet connection is required because the Spotify app prompts to login again. There is a posting here where many other users report the same issue. Meredith, I understand you are simply unwilling to change on your end the status of Facebook linking on my Spotify account, however on Facebook end of it the account has been deleted and login to Spotify website, apps, etc is accomplished using the "Spotify Device Password" and not any Facebook account.

Hi Something34523 - As Richard mentions in this post, deleting your Facebook account will create a number of problems with your account.

When you receive errors in the client we won't be able to help you fix this unfortunately. 

Suggested posts