Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

When i switch apps, music stops temporarily, as if buffering.

When i switch apps, music stops temporarily, as if buffering.

I'm on an iPhone seven, premium account. Everytime i switch apps or turn off my phone, the music stops for almost a full second, then plays again as if it's buffering. I'm thinking it has something to do with me playing at very high quality but i'm not sure. Any idea what's the problem?

13 Replies

Well, if you turn off high quality does it fix the problem?

No changes that I can notice

Hey there @Arifjustarif,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Just to confirm, is this happening only when connected to a certain internet connection?

If possible, we'd suggest connecting to a different network (for example, if this is happening when you're connected to 3G/4G, try switching to a WiFi connection). 

If it works with another connection, it would be a good idea troubleshooting further the original one (for example restarting your router). You can also reach out to the service provider of the original network so that they can take a look on their end as well.

We'd also recommend making sure to try the steps listed in this support site article.

If you've tried all these and you're still having troubles, it'd be helpful if you could add some additional details for example:

• Your device's operating system version
  • Your exact Spotify version
  • Does this happen when using a different device?
  • The troubleshooting you've tried so far
  • Any screenshots or screen recording of what's happening - just make sure that there's no private/sensitive info displayed

Let us know how it goes! We'll be right here if you need more help.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Hi I have been experiencing this same issue and it has been going on for a while now. When ever I open another app the music stops for a second and then starts again. Happens most constantly with Snapchat, but this glitch occurs on all loading applications. I have an iPhone 7 IOS 14.4 . I have updated Spotify regularly and glitch still happens- along with this missing final songs in queues. Doesn’t change with updates of Spotify or reloads of the phone. 

AC8DF91C-3472-4B0E-A35E-FD318A57C224.png

Hey @11159939822

Thanks for posting - we’re here to help!

Could you confirm if this still occurs after running a clean reinstall of Spotify on your iPhone? This will remove any corrupted data from previous installations that could be causing the issue. 

If you see no change after a clean reinstall, make sure no battery optimization settings or data cleaning apps run active on your device. Such features can often prevent the app from operating at full capacity. We also suggest accessing the app settings and making sure all Permissions are enabled for Spotify. 

Hope this helps. Keep us posted. 

Hi this has helped the issue with the music stopping when changing apps which is great thank you! But the problem with the last app in the queue being missing still continues. It popped up for a second after I followed your Instructions but disappeared again after a second.

Hey @11159939822

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

If you still can't see the Play Queue we suggest connecting to a different network (for example, if this is happening when you're connected to 3G/4G, try switching to a WiFi connection). If it works with another connection, it'd be a good idea to troubleshoot the original one (for example restarting your router). You can also reach out to the service provider of the original network so that they can take a look on their end.

In case this occurs on a different network as well, it's a good idea to log in to your Spotify account on another device just to check if you observe the same. If it doesn't occur on a different device, we'd suggest making sure that your original device is up-to-speed with any software updates available.

Hope this helps. We'll look out for your reply. 

I've had the exact same issue ever since I updated my iPhone 7 to ios 15. I've updated my Spotify app several times and it doesn't help. I also uninstalled and reinstalled the app and I'm still having the issue. It doesn't happen with every app, but most of them and also happens sometimes just when I leave the app (but keep it open, press the home screen on my phone) or lock it. It has stopped for as long as 3-4 seconds on occasion. It's driving me crazy! 

Hey @jewmaz,

Thanks for sharing what you've experienced with the app.

Could you confirm that you've tried all troubleshooting steps posted by @Ivan above? Make sure to also check if your Background App Refresh is turned on:

1. Go to your iPhone's Settings and tap on General.
  2. Find Background App Refresh and turn it on.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers!

ElenaModerator

I don't have the issue with the play queue as mentioned above, but I've tried the other steps and the issue persists. I did realize that my background app refresh was off when my phone was in low battery mode (which is almost always). When my phone is not on low battery mode I do notice it happens much less, but still happens occasionally but it's a much quicker "pause" and sometimes just a glitch with the sound for a second.

Hey @jewmaz,

Thanks for the reply.

Power saving mode can limit the functionality of the Spotify app and can sometimes hinder performance. 

This issue seems to be related to the phone's power management settings and there isn't much we can do from our end.

We'd recommend trying out different power management modes for the apps you use the most until you find a configuration which works best for you.

Take care.

AlexModerator

I’m still having exactly the same problem with the music pausing and  glitching when I’m changing apps and locking the iPhone. I’ve tried all the above suggestions and still a problem.

I am still having this same problem almost a year later. The pauses/glitches still happen when the phone is not on low power mode so I don't know what is causing it. Have there been any more insights into this?

Suggested posts