Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Where's my Airplay icon?

Solved!

Where's my Airplay icon?

In short,

I've got 2 ipads, 2 iphones, I'm a premium spotify subscriber, I can use the native apple Remote app to stream music from either ios device to either my laptop or to my Denon 3312 Amplifier (which supports Airplay) via Airplay.

However, I have not once seen the Airplay icon from any ios device using the spotify app. I've tried turning all of the apple devices off but one to elimiante interference.

I've shut everything down multiple times and upgraded all software to the latest version.

What's really annoying is that it works perfecty via the native iphone Remote app.

Any suggestions would be very grateful.

46 Replies

Wow this took forever for me to figure out.  I searched for a song I wanted to play and started it playing on the iPad's speaker.  I clicked the small album art in the lower left and there was no airplay icon.  I rotated the iPad from portrait to landscape and tried it again, but no love.  I was able to double-click the iPad's home button and scroll to the left to see the Airplay icon but I could never find the icon inside of the Spotify app itself.

Then today I noticed the little diagnal arrows icon next to the album art - apparently this is the "fullscreen button" people have been talking about.  After clicking that (really cool by the way), I see an airplay icon there that seems to work.

This would be much simpler if the Airplay icon could just be on the menu that comes up when you click the small album art though instead of requiring the full screen view.  I've been using the new iPad app since it came out and hadn't even notcied the full screen thing!

I still am unable to find the AirPlay icon on my Spotify iPad app. I have no problem streaming music from iTunes to my Apple TV (1st generation), which in turn has speakers wired to it. But Spotify can't be streamed because the AirPlay icon is not available - neither on the full-screen album cover page nor in the controls tray after double-clicking the home button. I have rebooted the Apple TV and the iPad - but to no avail. I am a Premium Spotify subscriber. What am I doing wrong? How can I get this **bleep** icon visible in the app so that I can stream to the speakers via Apple TV?

Can you stream YouTube or any other app from your iPad to the Apple tv?

No, I can stream only music from iTunes. Can't stream video, incl. YouTube. That's because my Apple TV is 1st generation. Do you think that's the problem?

Not sure if this helps but just to reiterate the point. My issue was because my laptop was on and I had one or more other iOS devices that were I believe essentially confusing the issue. It s an age old solution but try switching everything off and turning on in sequence trying one device at a time linked to your apple tv... I'd turn off any laptop or pc that is running iTunes though...

No, no love. Have shut down the MacBook Pro that has iTunes on it that can stream tonthe same Apple TV... But makes no difference. Still no Air Play icon in the Spotify iPad app....
Marked as solution

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2663005?start=0&tstart=0

It's not possible on the 1st gen Apple TVs. See the above thread. This isn't a Spotify app issue. It's an Apple issue known since 2010.

I was just going to post that link. So I found out a few days ago that yes it's an apple issue as no AirPlay of 1st gen Apple Tv. **bleep** them. Oh well Ive wanted a new apple tv anyway so off to the store I went. Works awesome.

Thanks guys. That explains it... No AirPlay support for Apple TV 1st gen. Curious though, as it is in fact possible to stream music from iTunes to Apple TV 1st gen. I think they call it AirTunes rather than AirPlay. Am not convinced about upgrading to Apple TV 2nd or 3rd generation as they don't have a way to plug in my old-school speakers... These new Apple TV models have only optical audio jack from what I can tell. So it's probably Airfoil purchase for me and streaming Spotify from my MacBook Pro rather than iPad. Unfortunate. Thanks all!

Just for info. You are right about the optical audio only on the 3rd Gen Apple TV. But I have mine set up with HDMI going to the TV then I use the red and white 'Audio OUT' sockets on the back of my Sony TV to run audio to my speaker system. I then change the Audio settings on my TV from 'TV Speakers' to 'External Audio' and it works fine. My speaker system is an old home theatre and doesn't have optical audio either.

Please add an airplay icon next to the normal play icon like when playing videos. Having to go to fullscreen mode is annoying and my parents had to phone me so I could explain how to get airplay working on their iPad. It's not intuitive at all.

Also pinch zoom the album art to go to fullscreen mode would be nice instead of having to find that little icon.

Completely agree - i have to use the iPhone app just to Airplay it on my home stereo.  This company has a desktop app - no reason not to add an airplay option... other than money 😛

Spotify works with airplay!? Got to try it out, we just got an Apple TV at the office last week.

U need to adjust ur router. Its probably in isolated mode. Turn that  of and it will solve your problem. 

I found a way to use airplay with spotify just play a locale file on iphone cæick the airplay button and click on home button and start spotify and click play then the local played music stops and spotify takes over works on my iphone 5

So in all fairness I haven't read through all the posts and someone may have already brought this up. That being said, I am a premium member and have an iphone and use the airplay feature all the time and it works brilliantly. I airplay spotify through my apple tv onto my wireless tv, which serves as a robust and utterly sufficient  music listening device, so to speak.

My question is: why is there not, or is there, an airplay icon on spotify's home menu, so that when seated at my computer and wanting to search/navigate artists and songs I can still airplay and listen through my television, via apple tv, rather than my computer's speakers. 

I'm currently having to research/navigate artists, music, etc. on my computer. Then after adding a song to a playlist or generating a new playlist can I access it on my iphone throgh the spotify app and ultimately play it, thourhg airplay onto my tv. 

Seems like simply adding an airplay feature/icon onto your homepage would make, at least my life, a hell of a lot easier. 

BTW LOVE LOVE LOVE Spotify. Have been a premium member since the days spotify was in its initial UK market launch, of which I was one of your early premium paying customers.... lived in London then. Had to wait a good year or two before having access to it again upon my return state side. Glad you did inevitably cross the pond. 

Cheers 😉

So how does it play through airplay off the imac or macbook etc?

Dumb answer..No such entry

Hi There, I fully agree with your post ! There should absolutely be an Airplay Icon on the home menu of Spotify. I am also a premium member and I think this is something that many people are waiting for. Why can it not be added?? I would really appreciate to even activate two music areas (PC in kitchen and Living Room Stereo) and than adjust volumes so I have spotify in my whole house. Apple has a similar option in Itunes and it works fantastic. 

Second I would really like to know how and if it is possible to do a double login at the same time. I am very often working out upstairs, using playlist on my Ipad. The PC downstairs shuts off, when loggin in upstairs. Is there a way to get around this, without the need for two premium accounts??

Rgds 

Seriously, why can't I airplay on my Denon from my laptop?????? It works in iTunes, I don't get it...... where is the icon on the Spotify app for my laptop??

Suggested posts