Where's my Airplay icon?

Solved!

Re: Where's my Airplay icon?

williamsk
Music Fan

Wow this took forever for me to figure out.  I searched for a song I wanted to play and started it playing on the iPad's speaker.  I clicked the small album art in the lower left and there was no airplay icon.  I rotated the iPad from portrait to landscape and tried it again, but no love.  I was able to double-click the iPad's home button and scroll to the left to see the Airplay icon but I could never find the icon inside of the Spotify app itself.

Then today I noticed the little diagnal arrows icon next to the album art - apparently this is the "fullscreen button" people have been talking about.  After clicking that (really cool by the way), I see an airplay icon there that seems to work.

This would be much simpler if the Airplay icon could just be on the menu that comes up when you click the small album art though instead of requiring the full screen view.  I've been using the new iPad app since it came out and hadn't even notcied the full screen thing!

Sashok
Casual Listener
I still am unable to find the AirPlay icon on my Spotify iPad app. I have no problem streaming music from iTunes to my Apple TV (1st generation), which in turn has speakers wired to it. But Spotify can't be streamed because the AirPlay icon is not available - neither on the full-screen album cover page nor in the controls tray after double-clicking the home button. I have rebooted the Apple TV and the iPad - but to no avail. I am a Premium Spotify subscriber. What am I doing wrong? How can I get this **bleep** icon visible in the app so that I can stream to the speakers via Apple TV?

Hansholz
Gig Goer
Can you stream YouTube or any other app from your iPad to the Apple tv?

Sashok
Casual Listener
No, I can stream only music from iTunes. Can't stream video, incl. YouTube. That's because my Apple TV is 1st generation. Do you think that's the problem?

hinezee
Music Fan
Not sure if this helps but just to reiterate the point. My issue was because my laptop was on and I had one or more other iOS devices that were I believe essentially confusing the issue. It s an age old solution but try switching everything off and turning on in sequence trying one device at a time linked to your apple tv... I'd turn off any laptop or pc that is running iTunes though...

Sashok
Casual Listener
No, no love. Have shut down the MacBook Pro that has iTunes on it that can stream tonthe same Apple TV... But makes no difference. Still no Air Play icon in the Spotify iPad app....
Solution!

Hansholz
Gig Goer

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2663005?start=0&tstart=0

It's not possible on the 1st gen Apple TVs. See the above thread. This isn't a Spotify app issue. It's an Apple issue known since 2010.

waklee1
Casual Listener
I was just going to post that link. So I found out a few days ago that yes it's an apple issue as no AirPlay of 1st gen Apple Tv. **bleep** them. Oh well Ive wanted a new apple tv anyway so off to the store I went. Works awesome.

Sashok
Casual Listener
Thanks guys. That explains it... No AirPlay support for Apple TV 1st gen. Curious though, as it is in fact possible to stream music from iTunes to Apple TV 1st gen. I think they call it AirTunes rather than AirPlay. Am not convinced about upgrading to Apple TV 2nd or 3rd generation as they don't have a way to plug in my old-school speakers... These new Apple TV models have only optical audio jack from what I can tell. So it's probably Airfoil purchase for me and streaming Spotify from my MacBook Pro rather than iPad. Unfortunate. Thanks all!

Hansholz
Gig Goer
Just for info. You are right about the optical audio only on the 3rd Gen Apple TV. But I have mine set up with HDMI going to the TV then I use the red and white 'Audio OUT' sockets on the back of my Sony TV to run audio to my speaker system. I then change the Audio settings on my TV from 'TV Speakers' to 'External Audio' and it works fine. My speaker system is an old home theatre and doesn't have optical audio either.
SUGGESTED POSTS