Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why does desktop app NEVER sync with iPhone currently playing?

Why does desktop app NEVER sync with iPhone currently playing?

I play music from my iphone, but while sat at my desk I like to look at the imac desktop app to see what song is playing.

More often than not, it shows NOTHING. Despite several restarts, the imac desktop app is always blank.

Why is the sync so non-existent? How this be fixed?

I am on the latest apps for both devices.

7 Replies

Hi there @maxartist23,

Thanks for the post.

The apps should sync in real time if the they're open on both devices. If that's not happening on your end it might be a network related issue. This happens mostly if you're on a school/ company network or using a VPN, which blocks traffic through certain networking ports, not allowing the Desktop app to sync. 

I'd suggest disabling any VPN you might be running and restarting your router just in case.

Let us know how you get on.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks for the reply.

This is at home, not a school - and no VPN. And yes the apps are open on both devices (playing on iphone and open on imac). 

The syncing is erratic and unpredictable. Restarting the imac app makes no difference and does not fix it. 

Hi there @maxartist23,

Thanks for the post.

You can do a clean reinstall (Guide) of the Desktop app on your Mac. This way all app data will be cleared completely before reinstalling the app. Sometimes corrupted app files might be responsible for such issues, but in most cases it's a network issue.

After the app is reinstalled, try connecting both your Mac and phone to another WiFi network, like a mobile hotspot to check if they sync better. This can also be done with another network if possible, in case you don't have an unlimited data plan.

You can also check if there is any form of firewall running on your computer and make sure Spotify is allowed through that. 

Hope that helps.

AlexModerator

Thanks for the top about a clean install! I tried it and it made no difference to the ability to sync playback between desktop and mobile, nor to switch between the two devices using Spotify Connect.

I am also following all the simple networking tips you provide in answer to this user's problem but I never have success with this. 

Can you help?

Hey @kmt-m1_ks6ue,

Could you let us know if the desktop app and the Web Player behave the same way the desktop & mobile app do? Or are they connected to one another?
Many thanks!

VasilModerator

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the web player and desktop app are connected and behaving correctly. I
can switch playback between the two. However, neither shows the mobile app
as a device on Spotify Connect.

I have logged out, cleared app data and cache and reinstalled from the Play
Store but seen no change in this behaviour.

Cheers.

FYI two days ago my mobile-to-desktop sync started working! I don't know what Spotify have done to re-establish this - I didn't exactly perform an update or a logout before this event. I'm pleased, but at the same time baffled.

Suggested posts