Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why shuffle-only on free mobile app?

Why shuffle-only on free mobile app?

Hi there,

I've been enjoying Spotify on both the desktop Web Player and iOS.

I'm just curious though, why is it shuffle-only on the mobile app, but not on the desktop? What's the difference whether you play music on your mobile device versus the desktop? Are they punishing mobile for some reason? Why?

I'm not complaining; shuffle doesn't really bother me that much. But it just seems like an arbitrary limitation put on the mobile platform and not the desktop. I don't quite see the point.

Thanks!

4 Replies

Hi sunny bubblegum, the only reason I can think of ( now give me a bit of lee-way here as I'm not that technically minded! ) is . . . If your listening to Spotify on your mobile & you're off out (not at home listening through wifi etc) you can on your mobile choose your songs in which order to listen to then pop your mobile in pocket etc & not have to keep taking it out to change what you listen to. But if you're at home on desk top listing to music, it probably doesn't matter so much that you can change what you listen to. It's a matter of convenience, & for not having a keep changing tunes on your mobile you pay the premium rate for the privilege. Does that make any sense? Then again its only a thought! Take care. Tonyface x

Hi Tonyface, Thanks for your thoughts. But the forced shuffling on mobile-only still seems like an imposed limitation to me. Otherwise, why wouldn't they make it the same as the desktop version, and just add the option to shuffle. Maybe I didn't understand what you meant exactly?

Hi, I expect it's probably the way I tried to explain it..... but I can
understand now ( as it's now playing on my mind! ) where you're coming
from. .... Why just the shuffle feature?
I expect they will have some inane reason for this! But like you said, I do
love Spotify, as I'm yet to not find my most favourite tracks, even so many
different versions of it by the same person! & they do try to update it
without too many hiccups. Take care, & all the very best to you. Tonyface x

I also love Spotify! Thanks for replying and weighing in, and the same to you 🙂

Suggested posts