Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Won't sync local files, says it's pending all the time

Solved!

Won't sync local files, says it's pending all the time

I updated to the latest version, and was playing around and pressed that button that said "Available Offline" at the top of the local files playlist on your iPhone, then switched it back. After that all the songs disappeared in my local files playlist on my phone. When I got home I tried to resync everything but when I go to "Devices" --> "My iPhone" and check the local files box to sync them, it just says "pending". I use the free version by the way.

I've tried reinstalling desktop/iPhone app, syncing over 3G, different internet connections, and I have 16G of free space. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it, thanks!

66 Replies

I added the files to a playlist other than local files, chose to keep it offline on the iphone 5. restarted spotifiy both on computer and iphone. Then it worked fine for the playlist and for the original local files location.

Solution for me was, delete manually one by one all songs on my Local Files playlist, then sync again!

Hi, I've had the same problem going ever since my premium membership expired due to insufficient funds in my account. I've been using Spotify premium for a couple years now. I had premium canceled for some time before, but never encountered an issue with syncing local files, which were all in my starred playlist, which may have something to do with it. Spotify doesn't allow files to be available offline on mobile, which includes local files, I assume. Either this is a mistake, or Spotify isn't allowing non-premium members sync their local files. I tried making another account, and until I activated premium, Spotify wouldn't sync my local files to my phone. 

Also, I'm using an iPhone 5 and syncing from a Windows 7 PC. 

I'm on OSX 10.9, Spotify latest versions on both Mbp & iPhone5 iOS 7.0.4. Devices are connected via Wi-Fi. As you can see in the attached screenshot I get this 'pending' message, too. I've also tried to delete all local files, unselect and select the folder in the preference pane but nothing has helped. Any idea?

spotifyError.jpg

Do you have plenty of free space on your phone @user-removed ? 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Yeah as you can see (jepp its a bit wishy-washy) there is plenty of space left(nearly 4GB and I was trying to sync 300MB). I got it to work. I've created a playlist with the local files on my Mbp. After the lists appeared on my iPhone with a count of "0 of X tracks" I made the playlists offline available. The syncing started. But this should normally work easier shouldn't it?

I pay for premium, so I'm not sure my solution will apply to the free version, but it's worth a try. I kept getting pending on my way out for a roadtrip, and we can all agree, not having to worry about service and having the playlists downloaded to phone is important on long drives.  

There is a chance it is a space issue most likely on the phone. i deleted some playlists, particularly the one's i hadn't listened to in quite some time, and the new playlists began to download. make sure to delete the playlists from your laptop/desktop. they then are auto-deleted from your phone. you should then see the playlists on your phone start to download. one annoying thing is that if you switch apps while they're downloading, they pause. hope this helps 

i'm glad i'm not the only one with this issue. has anyone found a solution? this is driving me nuuuuuuuuts ugh

The "pending" thing seems to happen mostly if there is insufficient free space (less than 1GB) on the iOS device. If this applies, please try freeing up some space then try again.

I tried making a playlist and syncing it to my iphone 5s and it syncs but then when I go to play the songs from the playlist it still tells me I need to sync. This is very irritating. I'm sure is just happening with my iPhone 5s because I have an iPad mini and both of the playlist and my local files sync and work fine. This needs to be fixed soon. I pay for a premium account and have been for over a year now. I would love to continue using the service but if this doesn't get fixed I may be reconsidering.

Marked as solution

@rcates - Could you try a reinstallation on your iPhone and see if that makes any difference? Unfortunately you will need to resync all offline content. 

Peter

I have had the same problems as you guys. I just got a new iphone 5s so I thought that might be the problem. I deleted the app on my iphone, reinstalled it, and now I am able to play local tracks and it no longer says pending on my local files on my computer. hope that helps.

@sepp0 wrote:
What sort of fixed it for me was to add all my local files to a playlist and sync that playlist!

Syncing local files that aren't in another playlist doesn't seem to work.

At least it's a workaround

Yes, but then you have the limit of 3,333 songs.

I want to play my mp3 songs (already purchased)  with Spotify, and keep adding those 3,333 on my device.

Right now I have to switch Spotify and MP3 player.

can Spotify be my only and unique music player for local files and spotify ones?

Thanks,

Local files are not included in the 3,333 offline track limit as far as I am aware.

Peter

Its looks like the way to do it is

-        Create a Playlist and add all your local content.

-        Sync ‘local files’ and ‘playlist’ at once.

The tracks are the same, but it looks like I managed to sync more than 3,333 offline songs.

I will confirm once I manage to sync all local files (45GB).

Thanks,

Okay, I have been fiddling around with this for too long and I am now bored. I have one track that is not available on Spotify but I have the MP3 and I just wanna play it offline. Spotify just keeps saying 'pending' on my local files and playlist in which the file is contained.

There must be a fix for this by now? Have reinstalled Spotify on my Mac and iPhone. Both up to date with os's and Spotify and I have Premium membership.

Does your iphone appear under "devices" in the desktop client?

Yes, it appears and I have opted to manually sync files but under each playlist with a local file in it says 'pending' under the playlist.

Can you try synching from the mobile instead as in the FAQ? You may need to cancel the synch first by selecting "undownload" on the mobile.

How much free storage space do you have on your iphone?

Tried that. I have 7.68gb free on my iPhone. I have 2.14gb of local files.

Suggested posts