Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iOS App - Order of playlist

iOS App - Order of playlist

Hi guys

why is it no longer possible to sort/manage the order of a playlist in the iOS App?

and it’s even no longer syncing the order of a playlist once it is changed on a Mac.  It’s only ordering songs by date. Old>new. 

I have a lot of very long playlists (300 songs) and don’t want scroll all the time on an iPhone....

Anyone any idea how to fix this?

help really appreciated ☺️

Thx

flex

btw. What happens to “radio” why is just a “fixed” playlist? 😕🙈 Spotify you are acting like you have been acquired by Microsoft already.... 

14 Replies

Hey @Flex8.

Thanks for reaching out to us about this!

To sort playlists on iOS, you have to scroll up until the 'filter' bar appears. To the right of it you'll see a hamburger menu which will show you the options for sorting the playlist.

As for Spotify Radio, we recently made some changes to the way it works. You can read more about this here.

Hope that clears things up! Let us know if there's anything else 😉

The fillers do not work at all for me. I cant change the sorting at all! This is why I’m thinking Apple music is better for my family. Nothing ever seems to work quite right.

 Your right there is no to sort on IOS app!

5691554B-3316-49DC-9B2D-F94F6DEB773F.png

If you scroll to the top of a playlist in the iOS app, you will see a filter option

https://support.spotify.com/article/sorting-and-filtering/

Sort songs in playlists

For iPhone/iPad: 

1. Go to the playlist you’d like to sort.
  2. Pull down and release to display 

in the top-right corner. Tap it.
    Note: To sort Liked Songs, pull down and tap Filters in the top-right corner.
  3. Tap how you’d like to sort e.g. by Recently added.

For Android: 

1. Go to the playlist you’d like to sort.
  2. Tap 

in the top-right corner.
  3. Tap Sort playlist.
    Note: In Liked Songs, tap Sort Liked Songs.
  4. Tap how you’d like to sort e.g. by Recently added.

Note: Sort options may vary depending on the list you’re sorting.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

In iOS, can there be a filter option to arrange playlists manually or by "arrangement on desktop app" (instead of by recently played/added, alphabetical, or creator only)? Without that option if feels limiting and a decreased ease of use, which is one of the reasons I preferred Spotify over Apple Music. I kind of wish I didn't update Spotify on iOS since this change.

Hi @youngcoconut,

Thank you for your post, and welcome to the Community!

In the iOS app you can manually arrange your playlists. You can do it by opening the list, tapping on the 3 dot menu and selecting the option Edit Playlist. It will allow you to move the songs inside the playlist. The changes will be reflected across all your devices.

Now, you can also edit the order of the songs on the desktop app, the changes should be reflected on your phone as well. You just need to make sure the Filter "Custom Order" is selected in both apps.

In this article you can find more info about sorting and filtering playlists. 

Hope this helps!

Maria_BModerator

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence in between.” – Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Hi Maria_B

Thanks for your reply, but someone already mentioned that and sadly that actually isn't what I was referring to. 

I'd like to continue to place the order of my Playlists in a custom order, but what you had mentioned is for placing SONGS in a Playlist in a custom order. 

Hopefully this will be fixed in a future update. Since I updated Spotify on my iOS device I have not been able to place my Playlists in custom order nor in sync with the custom order that appears on my Spotify Desktop app.

There are only options to sort my Playlists by Recently Played, Recently Added, Alphabetical, and Creator. Hopefully, in a future update, there will be additional filter options for "Custom" and/or "Sync with Desktop App" Playlist orders.

Hi @youngcoconut,

Thank you for keeping us in the loop and making that clarification. 

Just like with songs, you can organize your playlists in the desktop app, and the changes should be reflected on all devices. 

From your desktop, on the left sidebar click and drag each playlist to put them in the place you like. 

Then, on your phone, go to "Your Library" and toggle on the "Playlists" filter. Just make sure to sort the playlists by "Custom Order", they should be listed the same way as you organized them on your desktop.

Take into account that if you pinned some playlists, they will continue to show at the top.

Now, if you don't have the option to "Custom Order" your playlists, please send us a screenshot showing what you see after you tap on the option to sort. This way we can take a deeper look into it. 

We'll be on the lookout!

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Novy, thanks for your reply. Looks like I had to restart both my Spotify desktop app and iOS app to refresh the lists and now it's working! 

Hi there @youngcoconut,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

We're really glad to see that everything works as it should for you again 🙂

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Do you think you could add a way to sort by duration?

Hey there @Pickaxe_br1

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

You can already sort your your playlists by song duration on the desktop app by following the steps here

If you want to have this option in the mobile app as well, we suggest that you have a look in our Idea Exchange to see if someone else has already made a similar suggestion. If there isn't one, you can give these steps a go and submit your idea so that other users can also support it. The higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for it to be implemented.

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Imagine that I ONLY have an iPhone.

With only my iphone is there a way for me to reorder songs in a custom playlist.

To clarify, I'm not asking about the "sort button" that allows me to choose between sorting schemes, I'm talking about a way to move the song that is currently 3rd in position to the 5th position.

If not, you guys really should do something about this....because that is ridiculous.

If it does, you guys really should do something about making it more intuitive because it's not currently.

I can see when you long click on a song...it looks like it is can be moved up and down....but it doesn't.

Hi, 

At the top of the playlist you want to sort songs for, click the three dots thing. Then click edit. This should allow you to custom sort the order of your songs in your playlist on your iPhone. Hope this helps. 

Suggested posts