Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS][Discover] New music section doesn't show list of albums and singles

[iOS][Discover] New music section doesn't show list of albums and singles

I love looking at the new music releases on Friday.  On iOS, I feel that the previous workflow broke.

The previous workflow was for me to:

- Start the app

- Tap search

- Tap New Releases section

- Then, I would see a list of records and singles with an infinite scroll workflow.  I loved this because the discovery process was easy. 

The new workflow is:

- Start the app

- Tap search

- Tap New Releases section

- Now I see cards for either **Editor's pick** followed by a playlist, or a card for **Because you follow [bandname]** followed by a record or single for a band.  The discovery process is now gone for me becauseI feel like I am being fed content which I am not interested in. 

Attached are screenshots of the old workflow and the new workflow. 

I feel like the new workflow obfuscates the new music discovery process. 

Here's a human-cenetered use case.  My wife and I regularly look at the new release section together - each of us on our phones.  She regularly says "Hey look...xyz band released something new" while she is using the old workflow (on Android).  The problem is that I never see *xyz band* in my new workflow (iOS) so I therefore feel like I am missing the new releases that I want to see. 

New new-release workflow.png
Old new-release workflow.png
2 Replies

This change made me so upset. I have multiple avenues for finding new music from artists I already listen to. Spotify even creates a weekly playlist in the form of Release Radar to keep me up to date on releases from my favorite artists. But I want to be able to discover new things. I want to rediscover artists that I haven't listened to in a decade when they put out a new album. The iOS redesign does not allow for this. A useful feature would be to provide both views. Give me the ability to switch between targeted releases and the full list. New Music Friday used to be such an exciting thing to wake up to. Now I'm considering switching services so I can discover new music without having to use two different versions of the same product (desktop and iOS mobile).

Hey @SinginSasquatch,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this.

At Spotify, we’re often testing and launching improvements and new features. When we’re testing, you may see something on the app your friend doesn’t, or get a new feature for only a temporary period.

Hope that clears things up! Let us know if there's anything else 🙂

Suggested posts