Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Using spotify on older, unsupported systems

[iOS] Using spotify on older, unsupported systems

Sometimes you just don't want to buy the latest, coolest gadget; or upgrade to the latest OS. Sometimes you're very happy with what you have, and that's completely ok.

But then sometimes you get left behind and, although your gadget still works fine; and you're not using pastels on a daily basis, not all apps remain available for your trusty friend.

If you're using an older Apple device and can't, or just don't want to upgrade to the latest operating system, but you really love Spotify (of course you do, otherwise you would have stopped reading long before getting here (thank you, btw)), then you still have options.

Not too long ago Apple enabled everyone with an older device, running iOS 4.2 or later, to still get those apps they love; that includes you!

• If you previously installed Spotify on one of your iDevices, you'll find it in your device's App Store under the Purchased tab.
  • If you didn't previously install, or you're using a new Apple account, just go to the App Store in iTunes and download Spotify. It doesn't matter what version that is; you just need to have Spotify as a "Purchased" app on your Apple account.

Now you can go back to the Purchased tab on your device, and you should find Spotify there. Hit that Install button and you should be offered the option to download a previous version.

Both options should work for everyone, but we've had reports of folks in some countries not being offered the previous version. If this happens to you, you can try making a US Apple account and following the same steps, above.

Community Ergo Sum
30 Replies

Download itunes 12.6.3 from this link by clinking on the button that says 32-bit. This version of itunes still has the app store Ignore the fact it says this version is for enterprises. You can still download it anyways. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208079

@Goodman wrote:

Sometimes you just don't want to buy the latest, coolest gadget; or upgrade to the latest OS. Sometimes you're very happy with what you have, and that's completely ok.

But then sometimes you get left behind and, although your gadget still works fine; and you're not using pastels on a daily basis, not all apps remain available for your trusty friend.

If you're using an older Apple device and can't, or just don't want to upgrade to the latest operating system, but you really love Spotify (of course you do, otherwise you would have stopped reading long before getting here (thank you, btw)), then you still have options.

Not too long ago Apple enabled everyone with an older device, running iOS 4.2 or later, to still get those apps they love; that includes you!

• If you previously installed Spotify on one of your iDevices, you'll find it in your device's App Store under the Purchased tab.
  • If you didn't previously install, or you're using a new Apple account, just go to the App Store in iTunes and download Spotify. It doesn't matter what version that is; you just need to have Spotify as a "Purchased" app on your Apple account.

Now you can go back to the Purchased tab on your device, and you should find Spotify there. Hit that Install button and you should be offered the option to download a previous version.

Both options should work for everyone, but we've had reports of folks in some countries not being offered the previous version. If this happens to you, you can try making a US Apple account and following the same steps, above.

Is it still possible to download a version of Spotify that works on iOS 7?

On my iphone 4 this does not work. Because I cannot download the app, it will not go into my purchased apps so I can't download a previous version.

what you have to do is download the app in itunes on your pc. then update
it on your phone. once you do that, it should ask if you want to get the
older version. but it might depend on your phone's os version

I have tried doing that. The new version of iTunes does not allow you to download apps. I have tried downloading older versions of iTunes that do allow this, but they do not work.

as in you can't download apps still? you should be able to

No, I should have specified what I meant. When I try and download older versions of iTunes they will not run on my computer.

oh ok i understand now. using mac or windows?

Windows 10

don't really use that os myself man. im sure it's super similar to 7 so you
should be able to uninstall/reinstall older versions of itunes

Suggested posts