Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Lock Screen Control Play/Pause not updating when paused or played.

Solved!

[iOS] Lock Screen Control Play/Pause not updating when paused or played.

Plan - 

Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone Xs

Operating System

IOS 12

My Question or Issue

At times, my play/pause control from lock screen will not be updated to what is actually happening.  Music is playing and shows the play button which i have to click and then click the pause button. Same when not playing, I will have to pause button and will have to do the two clicks. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello,

Since we haven't been receiving anymore reports, we'll be moving this Ongoing Issue back to the boards.

If you start experiencing an issue again, feel free to create a topic.

Have a nice day!

View solution in original post

18 Replies

Hi there!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app. Just follow these steps.

I'd also recommend updating to iOS 12.2 🙂

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

Thanks for the reply. I have done all of the above and am still
experiencing the issue. It’s not all the time, but frequent enough to
notice.

I’m having the same problem.

Hey there @TechGuru19,

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community about this.

Just to confirm, does this happen when using a certain device? If so, we'd first recommend making sure that this device is up to speed with any pending software updates.

If that doesn't do the trick, it would be helpful if you could try logging in with a different account to see if the issue persists. 

Let us know how you get on! We'll be right here if you need more help.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

I have updated the app and it still does happen.  I mostly notice it when I pause from my AirPods.  My wife also has this issue. 

Me too. Plus they did away with the album cover graphic on the Now Playing screen. wth? Downgrade!

It is happening on an iPhone XS running the latest iOS version. I don't
have another account I can log in with unfortunately.

Hey there folks,

We're seeing reports regarding the play/pause button on the lock screen widget not working properly on iOS. 

If you're experiencing this, first make sure that both your devices and Spotify app are updated to the latest version available. You can also follow the steps here to perform a clean reinstall of the app. 

If these don't do the trick, we'd suggest adding your +VOTE and leaving a comment with the following details:

• The devices this is happening to and their OS version
  • The version of the Spotify app
  • Are you using any Bluetooth connect headphones when this happens?

Once we have these, we'll make sure to get this reported with the right teams, thanks!

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 
Marked as solution

Hello,

Since we haven't been receiving anymore reports, we'll be moving this Ongoing Issue back to the boards.

If you start experiencing an issue again, feel free to create a topic.

Have a nice day!

It happens to me often when my airpods and apple watch are connected but it also happens when both of my accessories aren’t connected, not frequent though. 

I have the same probleme with the lockscreen controls. It s'on "play" but it's not playing.. every time i take my phone out of my pocket, the play/pause bubble is present. Even if i close spotify in the multitask, it stays.. The only way to close it, is to open the apple music app, play it, ant then close it on the multitask..

THIS IS ANOYING

I'm on iPhone XS, IOS12.3.1 and the latest Spotify version (automatic appstore upddates) I've tryed to delete spotify and reinstaled it.. nothing change..

Hello! I have the same problem! 

For example: when i’m listening via bluetooth in my car, turn off the ignition (so that the car radio shuts down)  my iPhone XS Max still thinks it‘s playing music.. It shows me the „pause“ button, then i have to double tap on pause, so that it‘s really paused... (if i do not so, my alarm clock and other system sounds wouldn’t work)

Same issue testet with my jbl bluetooth speaker (charge 2+)! it happens very often, when it get‘s connected with a device, it won‘t start playing music automaticaly (car radio).

I‘ve already deleted my app and cache and reinstalled it, no improvements!

iPhone XS Max iOS 12.3.1

Spotify 8.5.7.601

Hi, 

I also have this same problem. It is very frustrating because when I try to play media on my phone from other apps (Youtube, Facebook etc) it pauses that almost immediately. If I close spotify and go back to what I was trying to do it works fine. 

My lock screen shows that Spotify is still playing but the time bar stays at the same spot. 

iOS version: 12.3.1

Spotify Version: 8.5.14.816 

This is not solved. It has been an issue and I assumed it would be fixed in an update, but still nothing. Please let us know when you guys decide to do something.

This is still happening for me as well. It's not usually an issue but today I don't think my alarm went off because of this issue, as Spotify was still "playing" when I woke up. 

• The devices this is happening to and their OS version: iPhone X, 12.3.1
  • The version of the Spotify app: 8.5.15.681
  • Are you using any Bluetooth connect headphones when this happens? Yep, was last listening via AirPods

I have also experienced the same problem. It just automatically play at the background slicently.

Opreating system:

Device:

iPhone XS Max

Spotify version:

I am not using any Bluetooth device at all

I see this as well somewhat frequently. The situation I'll see is:

1. I'll hit play from the lock screen

2. The play icon will briefly change to pause (as if it were playing) then will immediately change back to play (as if it weren't playing). Audio will not start.

3. If I try to hit play again at this point, it will always act like it's playing audio (the play/pause icon will change to pause), but no audio will play.

4. At this point I can unlock my phone, go to Spotify, and Spotify itself will report that the song is playing and the time indicator will even move (but no audio is playing). If I hit pause, the time indicator will move back to the actual position in the file where audio was last playing. At this point, hitting play from within the Spotify app works.

Device: iPhone X Pro (but I'm pretty sure I saw this on my old iPhone 7)

OS: iOS 13.3 (but I'm pretty sure I've been seeing this since iOS 12.x)

Spotify version: 8.5.34.644 (but has been happening for a few months)

Audio is playing through AirPods (but I think I've seen this without AirPods)

I'll update this if I can figure out any more patterns.

Update: this definitely happens when just playing through my phone's speakers and when no Bluetooth/AirPods are involved. It's happened a few times to me already today.

Suggested posts