Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iOS Spotify gets killed by iOS for low memory

iOS Spotify gets killed by iOS for low memory

I have quite an old iPhone 4 (no S) with iOS 7 and I've noticed a recurring issue: when Spotify is downloading tracks it frequently gets killed by iOS. I've checked the device logs and the Spotify is getting a low memory warning from the device, not responding quickly enough and gets killed by the OS. 

It's pretty annoying particularily as Spotify takes an absolute age to start up on my iPhone. Any chance these older devices could get a little love? I assume the program just needs to take it a little easier and respond promptly to low memory warnings.

6 Replies

Hi!

Just out of curioisty, how much memory do you have left on your iOS device? Often they run faster if you have some more space available for things to be moved around on. But yes, iOS 7 is laggy on an iPhone 4 as it is, so I'm not surprised it's slightly laggy - but freeing up some space should help.

How many songs are you trying to sync?

Anthony

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

Also are you leaving your iPhone open to the Spotify app when downloading songs? iOS kills background syncing after a minute or so due to restrictions. The app needs to stay open. 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

@MattSuda wrote:

Also are you leaving your iPhone open to the Spotify app when downloading songs? iOS kills background syncing after a minute or so due to restrictions. The app needs to stay open. 

That ^

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

Apparently I've still got about 1.3GB left. I do have a huge Spotify offline list, but generally it's only syncying 5-10 tracks at a time max. What usually happens is that I'm trying to play music while washing up, so I'm just using the phone for Spotify. Of course that makes these issues more annoying: everytime Spotify is killed I have to dry my hands and then wait for Spotify to initialise again.

Wait I'm confused.

Are you trying to play music through Spotify on your phone, and it gets killed?

Or are you trying to download your playlists for offline use, and that gets killed?

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Both: I am trying to play music through my phone, but while I'm doing that Spotify is usually syncing a couple of tracks. I have My Songs set up for Offline use, so if I've added any while playing on the Desktop, they'll get synced. 

However as I type this I can recall that Spotify will get killed if it's just syncing tracks - it's just more annoying if I'm trying to listen to music.

Suggested posts