Premium

Country

Malaysia

Device

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Operating System

IOS 15

My Question or Issue

After update my phone to ios 15 my spotify auto connect to other device volume setting for example my desktop.

I've try to force close the spotify app but however after some time its still auto connect back the volume ( I've check my background app  spotify was not running ) 

153 Replies

Plan

Premium

Country

Hungary 

Device

iPhone 8

Operating System

iOS 12.1.4

My Question or Issue

When I use my desktop app (both with Linux/Windows client) and the iOS app is not running, not listening to music on my iOS device the OS volume is set to the same value that is set on the desktop client (not the OS volume). When I set the OS volume on my iOS device, it set to the same percentage on my desktop Spotify client too.

This is very annoying, because for example if I'm leaving a youtube video in foreground, and lock the screen of the iOS device, and starting 10 minutes later my desktop Spotify client to listen to music, then I unlock my iOS device the YouTube video will be very loud. Because on the desktop I use the OS settings to change volume, not the volume settings of the Spotify client this is always on maximum level. It can be imagined how annoying to unlock the phone in the middle of a meeting and a video starts to shout out loudly on maximum volume level, because I've listened to Spotify on my desktop PC before the meeting.

The expacted behavior:
Change the volume on my iOS device when the Spotify app is in the foreground, as it was worked before.

Hey @, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

When using Connect in regards with volume that's what happens:

1. The phone's volume and phone's app's volume are interconnected, so changing the volume in the app changes the media volume of the phone and vice versa.
  2. The phone can control the desktop app's volume, but not the volume of the desktop itself. 
  3. Changing the volume of the desktop app doesn't affect the volume of the desktop itself. 

Just to confirm, you're having issues with the iOS volume being on max after closing the app or after stopped using Spotify Connect?

Please let me know 🙂

So what you're saying is there no way to get my phone to stop maxing out the volume when I watch a video or snaps on Snapchat for example on my phone while connected to my Xbox which is running Spotify? Literally every single snap you play will reset volume back to max after you just turned it down bcuz obviously it's was at max volume lol. It's so annoyingly frustrating. I gotta just ignored my friends on Snapchat when I'm connected to anything bcuz it blows my ear drums. Also is this an iOS issue or a Spotify? Any know plan of fixing it? I didnt do it when I first got my iPhone X so why is it doing it now with seemly no or dismal acknowledgment of it?

I have the same exact issue. The only way to solve it for me is to close the app on my iPhone, then I have control of the volume on my phone again. Otherwise if I try to turn it down manually, it bounces back to the max volume automatically. This is such a weird and annoying bug. 

This still happening to you? Lol still driving me nuts and baffles me that it's still a thing. Didn't do it when I first got my phone so obviously it's not just a technical issue with my phone. Just curious if you found a fix haha

this is a massive problem for me as well. playing xbox with spotify going and pretty much cant**bleep** on my phone because the volume is permanently loud as **bleep**. scrolling twitter and instagram is guaranteed ear rape. dont know how this isnt getting more attention

https://community.spotify.com/t5/iOS-iPhone-iPad/iOS-volume-linking-spotify-Connect/td-p/1629929

I believe this thread has a workaround - if you turn off the 'Devices Lock Screen' option, you can only control volume through the spotify app, which disconnects Spotify volume from the iOS system volume.

The downside is Spotify Connect then only works when in app, so you can't control anything without doing it directly in the Spotify app.

Okay I’ll give it a try thanks. Tbh you really only can change the song
when not in app anyways so it’s not a loss at all.

Thanks, this is a valid workaround. But this needs to be fixed, or the app must give us a possibility to turn off this "feature". I'd like to remote the spotify app on my phone, but without an auto volume increase.

Exactly. Especially when it hasn’t always done it. Also the work around is
great and all for solving the volume but I notice now when you go back into
the app it doesn’t always connect back to the device yours using(at least
on Xbox anyway)I’ve always had a slight hiccup here and there but it’s
noticeable worse with the lock screen feature turn off. Just an observation
and something that sound be looked into in my opinion.

I have the same issue with my linux based pc. The spotify is not connecting, or just slowly back.

Yup. Usually it’ll disconnect than blare music off my phone at full blast
lol then needs manually reconnected. Enjoyable features let me tell ya

This worked for me also. Closing the app (not just sending it to background) gives me back control over volume for example to watch insta stories, without affecting volume on Spotify desktop app.

Plan

Duo Premium

Country

United States

Device

Apple Watch SE & iPhone 11

Operating System

watchOS 7.5, iOS 14.6

My Question or Issue

The volume on Spotify for Apple Watch desperately needs to be fixed.

Firstly, any time you switch audio devices (regardless if you’re playing from your phone or your watch), the app will decide that, of course, the reasonable default volume level for a new audio device is 100%!! ESPECIALLY for headphones users! The amount of times in the past week alone (though the issue has been present for the past few months) that I’ve hit play and the Spotify watch app made the volume jump all the way to 100 and rupture my eardrums is just too much at this point. I’m beginning to make sure that the Spotify app isn’t open on my watch anymore when I have my headphones in to make sure it can’t make my volume so loud that the sound waves make my head vibrate.

Second, there’s nothing stopping your volume from changing by the watch’s crown rubbing on your shirt, or something you’re laying on, or anything else that isn’t a finger. The Now Playing app requires consistent movements when you’re changing the volume to stop this from happening, but somehow nobody on the Spotify team felt like quality of life wasn't of value, so now it’s important to keep your wrist away from your body to make sure it doesn’t bump the digital crown and the vibrations from music playing at max volume don't send you into orbit.

I can’t believe this hasn’t been fixed already.

Hey there @natemob1,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community.

As we understand it, the watch uses the latest setting for the device you choose.

Also - it’s true that sometimes the volume changes because the crown is twisted by clothing. That's the design.

You should be able to can change the Settings of your Apple Watch to not open the audio app while playing music. You can do that by heading to Display & Brightness and turn off Auto-Launch Audio Apps.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Take care 🙂

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

“Also - it’s true that sometimes the volume changes because the crown is twisted by clothing. That's the design”

Just because that’s how it is doesn’t mean that’s how it should be. This is bad design. It needs to be fixed.

“You should be able to can change the Settings of your Apple Watch to not open the audio app while playing music. You can do that by heading to Display & Brightness and turn off Auto-Launch Audio

Great. So the fix for this is to disable a very useful feature on my watch and to not use the Spotify app on it anymore. Thanks for this!

Thank you for bringing it up natemob1, as I too nearly lost both my Airpods AND my hearing as the sound randomly jumped to a 100% while I was walking today! And I wasn't even wearing long sleeves or had anything rub against the wrist that might've physically affected the crown (at that moment). 

My phone's and watch volume also wasn't set that high so not sure if "last device setting" applies here. Spotify's app volume on the phone was also set at a reasonable loudness. There's gotta be some preventative measures for the watch app users, it's a terrible hazard! 

P.S. I just ran a little test playing music and watching the volume on the Spotify app on my Apple watch go all the way up on screen wake before dropping. This gotta be a bug!

spotify-volume-issue.GIF

Update: I deleted the Spotify app on Apple Watch and am able to control volume and skip songs via built-in "Now Playing" app. That's sufficient enough for my needs without a terrible risk that Spotify app carries.
FYI, the volume control with the crown on a built-in app is actually designed in such a way that it's not easy to accidentally increase it if something rubs against the wrist. Perhaps something for Spotify team to look into.

Hi folks,

Thank you for posting on this thread. 

Even though the functionality provided by the crown is defined by the watch itself, it's not normal for the volume to randomly increase to 100%.

In this case, we suggest you start by deleting and installing the Spotify app in the watch and your phone in order to pair them again. 

@zlataz Please let us know if this issue happens only when you're streaming directly from your watch, or also when you're controlling the music through your phone. 

Keep us posted.

MafeGModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts