Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] app randomly crashes during playback

[iOS] app randomly crashes during playback

Plan

Premium

Country

EU

Device

(iPhone XS, iOS 14.2)

My Question or Issue

my iOS app upon starting a song often, but not always, will stop playing after random intervals. When this happens the now playing field on my lock screen shows nothing (see screenshot). I have evidently restarted my phone several times and I've also tried reinstalling the app to no avail.

Makes the phone app essentially unusable for now.

nowplaying.png

15 Replies

Hey there @oitoito,

Thank you for your post. We're happy to help.

Can you try to perform a clean reinstall of the app? This step will clean the cache and corrupted files from previous installations that can cause issues.

Also - can you log in with another account - such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persist?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Same happens here. Tried all solutions, restart, clean-reinstall. Only happening to phone on wifi. Ipad fine. Computer fine. TV fine. Latest IOS and spotify app installed on iphone xr

Hey @emevdawson,

Thanks for reaching out to us 🙂

It sounds like this could be a device-related issue. In case you're using any battery optimization or power saving apps, it's a good idea to deactivate them for Spotify.

Does the issue persist when you try with another network?

Keep us posted! If you have more questions, we are here for you.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks for the reply. I have no battery saving apps or the like turned on. It happened today on one network and also offline. Seems to be resolved if I skip ahead one song then back to the first song chosen. If Not, app will crash within 1-2 mins of first song. Not sure what to make of it but annoying nonetheless. 

Hi @emevdawson,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

You mentioned that you've already reinstalled the app, just to make sure, did you follow these specific steps?

Additionally, can you let us know if while you're using the Spotify app you've noticed any unusual battery draining? If so, you can add your vote and subscribe to this Ongoing issue. 

On another note, could you let us know if this occurs only when you're streaming or with your offline music as well?

We'd also recommend making sure Spotify is not being restricted by any device settings. 

Cheers - keep us in the loop 🙂

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi there. Not noticing battery drain but will keep a keen eye. Usually charging at same time. I did follow the instructions to do a clean reinstall. It has occurred both on and offline. I don’t know what settings on an iPhone would cause Spotify to crash.  Thanks.  

Hey again @emevdawson

Thanks for your quick reply.

Could you let us know if the app crashes immediately, after a specific action, when the screen is locked, or when using other apps?

Additionally, can you check if there's any pending updates of your iOS? You see that heading over to Settings > General > Software Update.

We'd also like to know how much available storage space your device has.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply!

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Thanks for getting back to me. It happens usually between 1-2 mins into the first song played. Phone locked. Phone is up to date. Was happening on 14.2. A few moments ago upgrades to 14.3. Will test. 20 gig of storage available on the phone. Thanks. 

Hey there again @emevdawson,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation. We're sorry to hear that you still experience this. 

It would be great if you can do the following:

• Soft reset of the device
  • Ensure the operating system is up-to-date
  • Ensure device has enough storage space

We'll be on the lookout for your reply 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Done. And my last post covered your last two queries. Not sure where this leaves us. Thanks. 

Hey @emevdawson,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Just to confirm - you're still experiencing this on iOS 14.03? Do you have the option to check if you can replicate the behavior with another account? You can create a free one with another email address here. If it works with the new account, a possible workaround would be to use the steps here to transfer your music collection.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes.  

Mihail Moderator

Hi, yes, I am still experiencing this. I have spoken with support in-between and done a complete reset with cache clearing and whatnot and it's happening again a few days later. I'm going to start my Apple music trial in the meantime. If this isn't fixed until it runs out, I'll stick with Apple since it also allows me to download music to my watch.

All suggestions have been done. Reset multiple times. As noted already, OS s up to date and tons of storage left. Crash happened twice today offline. Thanks. 

Already done. As noted above, OS up to date. Tons of storage Reset multiple times. Crashed twice today offline. Thanks.

Hey @oitoito and @emevdawson,

Thanks for getting back to us and for the troubleshooting you've done so far.

It would seem that you're indeed experiencing a case of this Ongoing Issue that @Eni posted. You can +VOTE and subscribe to it, if you haven't already. The folks at our tech team are currently looking into this, so it'll also be useful to Subscribe via the three-dots menu in the top right corner next to the title. That'll make sure you stay up to date with any relevant updates about this. We'll be sure to keep you updated with any news on the matter there.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Mihail Moderator

Suggested posts