Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone XS Max

Operating System

iOS 12.1.2

My Question or Issue

My app skips any song in my playlists after about 40 seconds. Even if I manually move the play point beyond that it skips immediately. I tried cache delete, restart app, restart phone, delete app, reinstall, turn off/on gapless etc. nothing works. Tried removing and redownloading songs and still no luck. Anyone have a solution?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? Sorry if this may sound a bit repetitive but if that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app by following these steps.

Make sure Spotify is up to date (current version 8.4.85). I'd also recommend using the Sign Out Everywhere and Remove Offline devices from your Spotify account page to see if that helps 🙂

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

i tried everything that was mentioned except logging into your account using a browser and select ‘sign out everywhere’. That finally seems to have done the trick. 

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi there!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? Sorry if this may sound a bit repetitive but if that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app by following these steps.

Make sure Spotify is up to date (current version 8.4.85). I'd also recommend using the Sign Out Everywhere and Remove Offline devices from your Spotify account page to see if that helps 🙂

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

Marked as solution

i tried everything that was mentioned except logging into your account using a browser and select ‘sign out everywhere’. That finally seems to have done the trick. 

I have this same problem. I am new to Spotify and just downloaded it this week - April 2020. Spotify plays songs for about 40 seconds then skips to songs and playlists I don't even know. Never plays a song through. I've tried absolutely everything - signing out and back in, turning off and on, deleting app and re-downloading, clearing cache, etc., etc. Nothing works and I'm ready to quit Spotify, but I really don't want to. Can somebody help - Spotify!!!! You are the hardest to get an answer from as there is no direct way to ask a question, but have to rely on someone seeing a problem post and responding. Very frustrated at this point. 

Hey @HelenRusso6,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community and sorry about what you've experienced. 

Would you mind double-checking if there's any updates available both for your iOS and Spotify? Also, to confirm, are you experiencing this with your iOS device only or with other devices also?

Keep us posted. We're looking forward to your update and we're here to help with anything else too! 

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I just downloaded new software for my phone last night and that didn’t help. I get the same kind of playback on every apple product I use. Mac Book Pro, iPhone 11 Pro, iPad. My husband’s iPhone X seemed to work. I really have tried everything. I’ve looked in Settings and don’t see anything that needs to be changed.

I did just try it on my Mac Book Pro and it played 1 1/2 songs through and then switched to some unknown song but would not play the sound. I couldn’t even turn it up. Haven’t had that before. When it has switched on my iPhone before I have heard the songs. Help.

Hey @HelenRusso6,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

Just to confirm, when you say that your husband's iPhone X seemed to work, did you test it with your Spotify account or his Spotify account? Also, to further clarify: do the songs you're playing simply stop or they get substituted with other (unknown) songs unexpectedly while you're listening?

If other songs are played unexpectedly while you're listening, it'd be great to bookmark and carefully follow all the steps in this support page article as well as this one since they feature some essential info regarding how to keep the safety of your account up-to-date.

Let us know how you get on. We'll look out for your updates!

Mario Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This is not helpful, I pay a monthly subscription just to get a bunch of NO FIX issues for the skipping of the music on my Iphone 11 pro ???

Really there should be a good and permanent fix for the problem instead of deleting and re-upload the app over and over. This is a major headache and it i am sure their are others that feel we need a better update or fix to the problem. 

SOOO ready to leave Spotify, please find a solution or I have a bad feeling PANDORA is going to have a lot of new subscribers. 

So have the same track-skipping problem, and yes I reinstalled, restarted, etc.... no difference.   We are finding that the Spotify playlists play all the way through, but my own playlists or favorites cut off after 40 sec or so into the song.   This appears to be a legit bug, not a user error.   How do we get this diagnosed and fixed??

Hey @bill7191

Thanks for getting in touch about this and welcome to the Community. 

Just to confirm, does this only happen on your phone or on other devices as well?

On another note, would you mind sending us the URI of one of the affected playlists? We'll take a closer look. 

Lastly, we'd like to know if you've followed these specific steps to reinstall the app. 

Keep us posted. 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

1. Audio <top> 

Suggested posts