Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iPhone 12 [iOS 14.6] Spotify constantly crashing despite supposedly solved issues

iPhone 12 [iOS 14.6] Spotify constantly crashing despite supposedly solved issues

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

(iPhone 12) (brand new)

Operating System

(iOS 14.6 )

My Question or Issue

While I have pored over several posts discussing similar issues, some marked “solved,” and followed the supposed solutions, my app is constantly crashing. There is not a time I use it and it doesn’t crash at some point. There is also no pattern to it. 

It started a few months ago on my prior device (iPhone X), with the app crashing less than a minute into any given song. I have a new device, and the problem persists.

I have done a regular reinstall and clean reinstall but neither has made a difference. If I am lucky, it will play at most five songs before it crashes, but it shouldn’t be doing this at all.

I have been waiting for updates to magically fix this, but clearly that isn’t happening.

To say this problem is frustrating would be an understatement. I now barely use Spotify because of it, but I am desperate to get back to listening to all my saved music without knowing for certain the app will crash at any time. 

13 Replies

Hey @ladiechilde,

Thank you for posting in the Community, and welcome!

Since you mention the issue is happening on the new phone as well, could you try logging to your app with a friend or family member's account? This way we can determine if your account is having issues. 

If that doesn't help, also let us know if the app is crashing both on WIFI and mobile data.

Keep us posted on how this goes 🙂

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

I actually don’t know anyone whose account I could use so I can’t even try that.

Hi @ladiechilde,

Thank you for your reply!

In this case, you can open a new free account through this link and test it on the app. 

If this doesn't do the trick, please let us know if this happens when you're connected to WIFI, mobile data or both. 

We'll be on the lookout. 

JulianModerator

Hi, I’ve been having the exact same issue, on an iPhone 12 mini updated to IOS 14.6 as well, and perhaps could provide some feedback. I’ve been struggling with the exact same problem, same symptoms, everything, for the past year or so (This happened on my old iPhone 6 as well).  At first it was very uncommon, but lately it’s been crashing more and more, to the point where every time I use Spotify it crashes after 1-2 songs. I’ve tried about everything, normal reinstall, clean reinstall, hard restarts of my iPhone while experiencing the crashing, all to no avail- The problem immediately reappears after I try these. My sister has also been experiencing this on her iPhone SE 2, also on the latest IOS. She uses a different Spotify account than me. Finally, both of us experience the “bug” on both mobile data, and wi-fi. Would really appreciate some help, I’ve been searching for a solution for ages now. Also- this is not an uncommon issue, it’s been reported a bunch online, but I haven’t seen a definite solution. Thanks! 

Hi there @RaphaelGaertner,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

Can you confirm if you've noticed any battery drain when the app crashes?

It would also be great if you can provide us a screen recording so that we can have a closer look of what's going on directly from your end.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hey-

The link only sent me to my existing Spotify account. Like RaphaelGaertner, I find it happening on both mobile and WiFi.

Also, since I have seen it as a question in troubleshooting this, I have not experienced rapid battery loss while trying to use the app.

It does appear to be a widespread problem across devices and providers with no definite solution, based on what RaphaelGaertner and others have written. 

It’s good to know I’m not alone. I have read countless threads here and on other sites about this issue and the only “solution” I’ve seen “accepted” was a “temporary” clean reinstall, which I attempted and found didn’t change anything, even temporarily (unless temporarily can be defined as the time I spent clean reinstalling it). Hopefully we can get some answers soon.

Hi there @ladiechilde

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Just to clarify, to create a new account to test with, you need to log out of your current account first in the link we sent previously. 

On another note, we suggest that you check if the OS of your device has any pending updates. 

Lastly, could you let us know if this is only happening with Spotify or with other streaming apps as well?

Keep us posted.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hello. I'm having this issue. Iphone 12 pro. IOS 14.8. I have the latest Spotiofy version installed, 8.6.621035.

I can't play any song for more than a couple minutes and then the app crashes. Has been happening for a couple days.

Also it's been draining my battery at an extreme rate the past couple days. Not trying to be sensationalist or dramatic, but if this cant get resolved quickly im gonna have to cancel my subscription and switch over to apple music. you app is unusable right now

Sorry, I wish I could be of more help, but shortly after I posted my last replies to this thread, my Spotify miraculously started working again, with no update to the app or anything. In my case, the bug will occur every once and a while but go away on its own. One thing I noticed though was that when you’re in the Spotify app with your iPhone unlocked, it will not crash, but as soon as your phone locks or you switch to a different app, the bug will resume after a song or two. Maybe try updating to iOS 15? There aren’t too many bugs, and it might manage your apps more efficiently(possibly fixing the bug?). Good luck! 

Hey folks!

Thanks for getting in touch about this.

The folks at our tech team are currently looking into this, so make sure to vote for the Ongoing Issue here, if you haven't already.  Make sure to try the steps you can find in the Status update. 

It'll also be useful to Subscribe via the three-dots menu in the top right corner next to the title. We'll be sure to keep you updated with any news on the matter there.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Still not fixed in november 21. Iphone 12 and IOS 15.1

Hey @Hennart,

Thanks for your post.

This should be fixed by now. If you're still experiencing this, make sure to run a clean reinstall of the app.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

Suggested posts