Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iPhone not recognized by desktop client

iPhone not recognized by desktop client

My iPhone is not appearing in the "devices" section of my desktop client. Both the mobile app and desktop client are connected to the same wireless network, and Spotify mobile is "online." I'm paying for the premium service and would like to be able to take full advantage. Help!

12 Replies

Hey,

If your phone is on the same WiFi network as your computer, you are logged into your Spotify account on your computer and iPhone, it may mean you need to enable UPNP on your router. If this isn't enabled, it can occasionally stop the devices popping up. 

If you could try enabling this. Let me know how you get on.

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

You may be paying for premium and wanting to take full advantage, but not having premium tech savvy skills might be leaving you at a less than competant advantage of taking full advantage of the service.

Upnp isn't actually required I'm not sure why that is always suggested as my router doesn't have Upnp and it sees my MacBook Pro just fine. As far as I'm aware Apple doesn't employ upnp in any of their products.

If you would list the Wifi router (make and model) you have I may be able to assist you.

Hi - UPNP is enabled - the router is a Belkin 3CD1. I've tried everything except completely uninstalling my Norton Virus protection - it's just not working.

Same problem here. Tried

- 2 different iOS devices, iPod Touch and iPhone 4 both with iOS 5.0.1

- 2 different wireless routers Zyxel and D-Link both with UnPn on

- Turned off windows firewall and virus protection (Avast)

- Tried connecting both with cable and in the same wireless network(s)

- I only own one Spotify account so yes I am logged with the same account

Whatever I try I cannot get the iOS devices to show under the Devices of the Spotify Desktop client (latest version). I have been experiencing the same problem for over 4 months already through many versions of both the desktop client and the iOS client. I would really like to get this working.

I'm having a similar issue.  Both my computer and my iPhone are on the same WiFi network.  When I first log into the network with my iPhone, it shows up under my devices and I'm able to select the playlist is want to sync.  The playlist indicates that it's "pending", then my iPhone dsappears from the list of devices and the playlist never syncs.  I have been struggling with this for hours.

I've also tried syncing by connecting my iPhone to the computer via USB and that has not worked either.

Need some help.

I am having the same problem, my macbook pro spotify app is not seeing my iphone. 

HOWEVER, my windows spotify app does and I can sync my local files fine, so I assume I need to try to work with Mac's network security somehow, any ideas???

Thanks in advance

love how this thread and many others regarding the synching issues and detect device issues have been disregarded by Spotify.

if the problem is as consistent as it is with everyone taking necessary steps that Spotify and its site moderators have suggested, its time to realize the problem isn't the user.

so please stop posting the same "solutions" that don't work and realize the basic trouble shooting provided in the FAQs isn't actually fixing any problems.

THANK YOU, well said. I'm having the same problem and all spotify's help FAQ says is basically, "well, Just do it."

Ok which specific ports in the firewall should i open , I see my phone without the fw on . so now i just need the port numbers

Ok tried port 4070 on my linux desktop still does not work . Upnp on in my router .

Update :

Ok allowed a whole bunch of ports my firewall reported that spotify actually used , now it works

4070 as stated in the help topic is simply not used by the app

I've read posts here and there regarding this sync issue.

The solutions opening ports, enabling UPNP on the router, firewall, ... and the list goes on, are complex for an everyday user.

If you are paying for a service these solutions should be simple and trasparent.

Spotify already uses your facebook account to login and on my perspective being a mobile user (which only lets you use one session at a time . not like Netflix which lets you have multiple sessions for one account), it already has that issue solved  That is: the synchronization works flawlessly.

If you pay for a service Spotify should correct it.  I know my grandma and my mother won't be able to solve these issues.  Sorry to say but this is not what a consumer expects from a High Qualtiy Streaming Service.  

After reading all these solutions I got myself tired and just prefered synching with one mobile device to another another and forget the client side application.

I really hope they get this problem corrected as soon as possible.  With all due respect, I really find this issue embarrasing.

you need to log out of your one on desktop laptop etc and it will then work on your device. Bascially you can only be logged in on one device

Suggested posts