Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iPhone pausing when connected to my car!

Solved!

iPhone pausing when connected to my car!

Whenever I connect my phone to the car and play through spotify it pauses the songs after 3-4 mins and I have to press play to resume the song! Nobody else is using the account I made sure of that! Can anybody help??? It never used to do it and it's bloody annoying! Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello,

I'm sadly unable to replicate this on an iOS 5.1 iPhone, running the 4.23 build of Spotify. Some other things you might want to try - In your multitask menu, close down everything, and then open Spotify. Start playing a track, and see if you can press the home key / lock key and play Spotify just fine.
Airhorn Enthusiast

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Finally found the culpit!

Under Location Services, the "Area 51" app caused Spotify to pause. I turned it off, and presto! No more pause issue. I have tested it out a few days now, it seems to work flawlessly. There might be more apps out there with this issue. Be warned!

View solution in original post

14 Replies

Same thing happens to me. Its not only in car docking, its with headplugs as well. I tried it with some other headphones with no pausing.... strange.... It started for me after latest iOS update... If i plau only with my phone, no asseccory connected, then it plays fine too... They need tp patch this asap or i will use wimp, so hurry up spotify guys...

I've had the same problem.  The FAQ says to restart my device, but it hasn't helped, and obviously it's not safe to have to keep doing this while I'm driving. I've cancelled my premium account until they fix this.

Hello there,

While we try and make Spotify work fine with Docking systems, sometimes they are only compatible with the built-in music software. We have an FAQ post about this here.

However, plugging in through the headphone jack should work just fine. If not, then restarting Spotify should fix this (double tapping the home screen and opening the multitask menu).

Airhorn Enthusiast

"However, plugging in through the headphone jack should work just fine. If not, then restarting Spotify should fix this (double tapping the home screen and opening the multitask menu)."

"Should" but doesn't. I use a regular headphone jack and this is happening to me through my car or regular headphones. Restarting Spotify doesn't fix it, and neither does restarting my iphone. I found this is in the FAQ. Is there any way to be notified of when this will actually be fixed? I'm not going to keep paying for the service when it doesn't work, and there's no way to test it out without paying.

Why is the music fading out and stopping when I try to multitask or lock my iPhone/iPod touch?

Occasionally, when pressing the Home button to multitask or when your device locks, the music on Spotify will fade and stop. To resolve this problem, simply restart your device. Should it happen again at any point, please use the same solution. We are currently investigating the issue to find a permanent solution.

I have a similar thread (with no replies) here:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-iOS-iPhone-iPod-Touch/Spotify-keeps-pausing-stops-songs-when-...

As I stated there:

"I have tried to reboot my phone, reinstalling spotify, and resyncing my playlists. No luck."

The pausing problem started after I updated iOS from 5.0.1 to 5.1.

Hope you will fix this in next patch.

I have actually run into this issue myself - restarting resolved it for me, but we may need to dig a little deeper here.

Naturally the next suggestion for this would a clean installation. "Toratb" appears to have tried this to no success, but it might be something you want to try, "khart79". However, bare in mind that any offline playlists you have will need to be resynced after doing this.

Toratb, do you have any cache cleaning / app killer applications on your iPhone at all?

Airhorn Enthusiast

The phone is not jailbreaked, so I guess the only cache cleaning I do is closing the apps or rebooting the phone.. I'm canceling my subscription. I have been using premium since you guys launched it, cause I wanted to play music in my car and "on the go", but when this does not work (since update iOS 5.1, mid march) then the whole point of having premium goes away.. So I will migrate to w***.

GL sorting out your bugs. Perhaps you will see me again. Perhaps not.

Marked as solution

Hello,

I'm sadly unable to replicate this on an iOS 5.1 iPhone, running the 4.23 build of Spotify. Some other things you might want to try - In your multitask menu, close down everything, and then open Spotify. Start playing a track, and see if you can press the home key / lock key and play Spotify just fine.
Airhorn Enthusiast

Hey!

I just restored my device. That did the trick! So i resumed my subscription again. 🙂 Good times!

I reinstalled the program and it worked... for a day. Now it's pausing again when the phone locks. I'm not going to reformat my entire phone, because it's completely ridiculous that I should have to. I guess it's back to Spotify free for me.

I was celebrating prematurely as well... The pause bug is still there, even after a reinstall of my phone... Yesturday Spotify released a new version, so I was happy. Finally they fixed the pause-bug, I thought. But still no. Still the super-annoying pause-every-5-minutes-bug is there... Happy to see you. Not.

BTW, I figured out something. On my trip back from work today, I put my phone in flight mode before i took off. Guess what. It did NOT pause the entire trip home! So your bug is related to GPS/GPRS or some other wireless function iOS updated in their latest iOS upgrade... Dev team need to check iOS upgrade details and figure out this bug pronto.

Marked as solution

Finally found the culpit!

Under Location Services, the "Area 51" app caused Spotify to pause. I turned it off, and presto! No more pause issue. I have tested it out a few days now, it seems to work flawlessly. There might be more apps out there with this issue. Be warned!

I don't have that app, but I wonder if it's something else that uses location services for me. Maybe I'll renew my subscription to play around with it. I love Spotify, and I'd be really happy if I can get it working properly again! Thanks Toratb! 🙂

Suggested posts