Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iPhone screen locking while playing and connected to charger

Solved!

iPhone screen locking while playing and connected to charger

iPhone screen locks while plugged in, I’d like to see album art and song title while I drive but it automatically locks after 2 minutes even though it’s plugged in.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there folks,

Thanks for your patience while our tech teams were looking into this.

It is expected that the screen should dim and your device will lock when charging. Keep in mind that you can always wake your device by tapping the screen.

You can also disable Autolock or use the Waze integration while you're driving.

However, we really appreciate your feedback regarding this and we'll make sure to pass it on to the right teams.

Hope this helps clarify things! If there's anything else we can help with, don't hesitate to give us a shout.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

View solution in original post

141 Replies

Hey @Thejuice, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

To confirm, when you're playing music while the device is plugged in - it locks after 2 minutes?

Keep me posted 🙂

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Im having the same issue as well. I also have my iPhone set up to auto-lock after 2 minutes. And I've been using Spotify in the car for years now. Whenever my iPhone is plugged up charging playing with Spotify on my screen, it never auto-locked until the recent Spotify update. 

Correct, the phone is set to lock after 2 minutes but if I leave it plugged in it shouldn’t auto lock

I've been having the same problem since yesterday (17 July) so I assume it's a problem introduced in the latest update.

I play music via Spotify on my computer, but have my phone on charge in a cradle next to it showing the album art. Until yesterday it would (correctly) override my phone's auto-lock settings and stay open so long as I was in full screen player view with the album art and controls. Since yesterday it no longer prevents auto-lock and so my phone locks automatically after a couple of minutes.

Hey all,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

If you are experiencing this even after a quick reinstallation, please send us over the following:

• iPhone model
  • iOS version
  • Spotify version

We'll look into this and keep you up-to-date in this Ongoing Issue.

Looking forward to your replies!

Oh man, glad I found this thread. I thought my iphone was the only one overriding the 2 minute auto-lock for the past few days and I was going crazy.

This has been happening for me last couple days as well. 

iPhone XS Max

iOS 12.3.1

Spotify 8.5.14

Same problem here. It just started happening to me with the last app update. Prior to that, if my phone was plugged in and the Spotify app was in focus (meaning loaded), Spotify would keep my phone on and would not let it go to sleep. Now, for some reason, under the same condition, my phone will go to sleep based on my phone's configuration for energy management.

iPhone Model: 7 Plus

iOS Version: 11.3.1

Spotify Version: 8.5.14.816

I uninstalled Spotify and then reinstalled it. 

Unfortunately, that didn't solve the issue. 

The display still shuts off after about 30 seconds despite the Spotify app being opened and it connected to a charger.

iPhone Model: XS Max

iOS Version: 12.3.1

Spotify Version: 8.5.15.681

Add me to the list.  Runing a iPhone 5s on IOS 12.2.  The display shuts off after 30 seconds, when charging.  It didn't used to do this before your last update a few days ago.  Reinstall does not resolve the issue.  Halp!

iOS version 12.3.1

iphone model 7

spotify version 8.5.15

Tried reinstalling Spotify, did not work 

Long time user. Glad to find this thread. Experiencing same issue. When plugged in the running app should stay on & now it goes into sleep mode

iPhone XS Max

iOS 12.3.1

Spotify 8.5.15

continue to have this issue since the 8.5.14 update earlier this week, and the update to 8.5.15 did not fix it

I’m another one that the screen closes out when charging.  Driving me crazy - please help!  iPhone 6s Plus.   Appreciate any help!

Why has my screen has started to go to sleep while playing/charging when it hadn't done so ever previously?

This is very dangerous because it now requires extra attention to skip songs while driving. This is very unsafe, especially in light of the fact that the app has habituated users to NOT have to wake the phone while driving to change songs. The app as it is currently working is contibuting to distracted driving and Spotify now has notice of this fact. 

Yes I have uninstalled and re-installed and even updated - it still goes to sleep even when charging and is starting to really get annoying. Running IOS 12.3.1 on an iPhone Xs.

Please fix the app before someone gets in a car accident or kills someone because your app is not working the way you have taught your users it is supposed to.

I’m also having the same issue since the latest update. Reinstallstion does not resolve this issue. Hopefully Spotify has an update very soon as this does cause quite an unconvinience.

iPhone XS Max

iOS 12.3.1

spotify version: 8.5.14.816

I have the same issue.  This is a dealbreaker for me.  Hope it gets fixed quickly or I’m cancelling my subscription.  Super aggravating when I’m driving and it locks the screen.  

Also add me to this list. Would really love to see this fixed as it is quite distracting while driving.

iPhone Model: Iphone 6

IOS Version: 12.1

iPhone XS Max 

OS 12.3.1

Spotify 8.5.14.816

same issue 

Suggested posts