Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iPhone screen locking while playing and connected to charger

Solved!

iPhone screen locking while playing and connected to charger

iPhone screen locks while plugged in, I’d like to see album art and song title while I drive but it automatically locks after 2 minutes even though it’s plugged in.

141 Replies

@Katerina any updates on this issue?

Aaaand Katerina has “Banned” my account citing I violated Spotify community guidelines. 

Unbelievable. 

Switching to Apple Music.

This “update” is certainly a downgrade. I used the feature to keep my screen awake in order to minimize having to touch my phone while driving. I should not have to remove my lock screen to do so. Seriously thinking of cancelling my subscription if this feature is not returned. 

@Katerina wrote:

Hey there folks,

Thanks for your patience while our tech teams were looking into this.

It is expected that the screen should dim and your device will lock when charging. Keep in mind that you can always wake your device by tapping the screen.

You can also disable Autolock or use the Waze integration while you're driving.

However, we really appreciate your feedback regarding this and we'll make sure to pass it on to the right teams.

Hope this helps clarify things! If there's anything else we can help with, don't hesitate to give us a shout.

Have a lovely day 🙂

First off...
It is expected that the screen should dim and your device will lock when charging.

Why is this the expectation all of a sudden? Your app is an always on music playing application... why would it be expected that it would turn off, especially when plugged in, and in particular, when it never did this before?

Second...

Keep in mind that you can always wake your device by tapping the screen.

I'm sure it goes without saying, but tapping your phone every 30 seconds to keep Spotify open while you are in the car driving is not an even remotely plausible solution, and one that should not be offered in this thread given the context of most people's reports here.

Third...
You can also disable Autolock or use the Waze integration while you're driving.

Disabling autolock on your phone because of the crappy user experience of one app is not a solution, although it does underscore the broken nature of your application. And using a third party app integration is likewise not a solution, and some people are not interested in using Spotify in the car or with another app.

Last...

Can you have a talk with your Product Managers and/or Product Owners about the consequences of their decisions on your product? While this is a seemingly innocent change, to your users this comes across as a regression in the product. What used to work a certain way no longer works that way. That is extremely important for proper user experience. What you've done is take what amounts to a feature for us users and turned it into a bug, then regressed your product by "fixing" the bug. This is unacceptable. PM decisions have consequences. This is one of those consequences.

And yes, I am now following the idea in Idea Exchange to bring back the functionality you took from us, but that also seems unusually cumbersome to have your users have to file a request, then get upvotes, for a feature that has been in your product for a long while now.

I really hope you revisit your product roadmap decision making processes, and I hope your PMs do a lot more community outreach to get the voice of the customer closer to their ears. This entire issue could have been avoided with a little bit of thought and perhaps talking to your users.

I hope it is been noted that this is kind of a big deal. I have seen multiple unnecessary design changes that I have learned to deal with over the years. This one is very different. 
This new twist was either planned or unplanned. 
Honestly I don’t know which is true. The fact is that the functionality of your app now has a built in feature that does nothing but make operation less safe when in a moving vehicle. 
Changing something just for the sake of changing is not always necessary. If it is not broke don’t fix it. 
I can only hope you fix it soon or put in an option to override (like SiriusXM app)
Thank you 

I feel like I’m taking crazy pills or something. Reading back through the moderator response and noticing the lack of attention this is getting, I just can’t understand it. And now we’re expected to bring this up as though it’s a new idea? Ridiculous.

From a product design standpoint I can only assume this was a mistake. If it was done intentionally I have serious concerns. Either way, fix this.

I use an iPhone and this is the most frustrating thing about this app. There should be a setting to disable screen locking if Spotifty is in use. The same way there should be a manual setting to enable/disable car mode for those of us that don't have bluetooth in their vehicles

"It is expected that the screen should dim and your device will lock when charging"

ehm NO, you guys changed that a few updates ago...so fix it, spotify always stayed open while being charged and no I didnt change any other settings...

Same issue as everybody else is having and definitly a reason for me to switch to another music streaming app if this is not fixed soon.

Also very dissappointing to see how poorly this issue is handled by Spotify by suggesting useless solutions (really ... use Waze?) and dangerous solutions (you want me to unlock the phone multiple times while driving? or disable the auto-lock all together decreasing my phone security; ever considered the fact auto-lock can't be disabled on most company phones due to security policies?). 

What's worse though is mentioning the phone is supposed to lock this way (which was not the case the last couple of years with your app and not expected of streaming apps) and most frustrating of all ... submit an idea?! You already had this in your app for years ... just bring it back!

Simply put ... this issue simply makes your app no longer suitable for customers travelling.

I have the same problem and I tried uninstalling spotifyas instructed but that didn't fix it, is a useful option

iPhone Model: Iphone 6s Plus

iOS Version: 12.4

Spotify Version: 8.5.17.713

Thank you

Waze integration does not work in Spotify offline mode. Is this something that may be made available sometime soon, never?

Iphone XSMax

IOS version 12.4

Spotify Version 8.5.18

My phone is also doing the same thing everyone is discribing in this thread.

Updated today (version 8.5.18.851). Problem is still there. Please address this ASAP.

Thank you!

Same problem. Not fixed as of this mornings update.

Hello,

I really think it's a shame that the screen locks, I have my subscription to have the music in the car, and my screen lock when it in charge.

Before I didn't have this problem. it's really uncomfortable.

Can you remove the screen lock when the phone is in charge ? or add an option but again it's really uncomfortable.

Hello Katherina,

the problem can not be treated as resolved. It is still the case that the screen goes into lock-up mode after the set time.

Her statement, "Tap on screen to wake up" does not work!

Please insert the function again !!! When driving a car, it is a risk to constantly unlock the Iphone.

Greetings Jens

Agree, this is not resolved.

I'm sitting at my desk and want to see the Spotify screen at all times. Until a recent update this worked just fine, now the screen goes dark while on the charger.

When on the charger I, and many others, don't want the screen to dim or go to autolock.

Thanks.

I looked at the idea from March 2016. Really? What's old is new.

I don’t understand this change, it is a big downgrade. I hope you return it to the old situation else we need to stop the spotify premium subscription. Very frustrating situation!!!

It’s just that when you say this behavior is “expected,”  it seems wrong because it wasn’t acting like this previously so “not expected” by users. Are you saying your engineers have redesigned the app so that this is an intended behavior? 

Suggested posts