Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iPhone stuck in shuffle mode - even though I have a Premium account...should I cancel subscription?

Solved!

iPhone stuck in shuffle mode - even though I have a Premium account...should I cancel subscription?

Hi,

I have a Spotify premium account on and I have it installed and logged in on several devices.  I have just updated the app on one device and now that device only plays back in shuffle mode with the big green 'shuffle play' button at the top.

As a Premium subscriber how do I get rid of this option - as I pay I want to listen to lists the way I design them...not via shuffle.

Thanks

S

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Just had this problem as well. since a few days my iphone would only shuffle. Fixed it by delete and reinstalling the app. Spotify has many qualities but their code isnt one of them 😉

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Had this same issue. If you tap the song that is currently playing it will bring the song's details/artwork to full screen. There you will see a small shuffle icon. Tap it and problem solved.

View solution in original post

18 Replies

In the Android version the "Shuffle Play" button doesn't necessarily mean that the app isn't detecting that you have Premium, as they added that button for Premium users as well to give quick access to play a playlist in shuffle mode. I suspect that the iPhone version is the same. In that case tapping on the first track (or any track, for that matter) in the playlist should play it back in non-shuffle mode.

@StevenR is spot on, the shuffle play button shows no matter what subscription level you are on. Tap a track to play in non-shuffle or disable shuffle from the now playing screen (tap the bar at the bottom) if you want to disable shuffle on premium.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

What if it's not on the premium but on the other one I can't seam to be able to pick a song to play and I pay so I'd like to be able to pic my song I want to play please help

Spotify Unlimited (I'm guessing that is what you mean?) doesn't give any benefits on mobile devices or tablets. You need Premium to disable shuffle on mobile devices (and have ad-free listening).

Peter

I have the exact same problem. I pay for Premium-account but can't get past the shuffle mode when playing playlists. Even though I choose a track to start playing, the playlist ends up shuffling the songs. This is really annoying. The same songs keep playing several times and I basically have to make the choices manually instead of just listening.

I use android phone, android tablet and sometimes via connect. This happens in all of them.

Is there a way to report a fault since Spotify doesn't seem to give any contact info? Can't find help in help-section. Posting here doesn't really solve anything.

Just wondering can you toggle shuffle on and off from the now playing screen?

Peter

Marked as solution

Just had this problem as well. since a few days my iphone would only shuffle. Fixed it by delete and reinstalling the app. Spotify has many qualities but their code isnt one of them 😉

How is reinstalling the client a "solution"?  The code is broken.  I have Spotify Premium.  I also have this problem using the Android client.  When I click on a track in the list (not the green shuffle button), when it reaches the end, it will pick a random track rather than the next one in the list.

@MarkHedgesLNE Due to many version patches, believe it or not, reinstalling the client usually always solve some of the problems as there are usually many updates packed into one app update in the App Store.

Because I just tested my latest Spotify iOS 1.5.0 client and when I switch off the shuffle, it works correctly, when it reaches the bottom of the playlist, it goes back to the first track again.
Meet Jeremy! | Day Entrepreneur, Night, Music Fanatic
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

Make sure iTunes is up to date
Try another know working cable
Try another usb port on the computer
Disable security software/firewalls
Try another computer with the latest version of iTunes

Or you can turn off "Find My iPhone" by logging in to icloud.com from a computer and doing it there.

Hope these can help you solve iPhone stuck in recovery mode.

Deleting and reinstall actually works to solve some problems because it cleans out the data the app has generated which includes settings and cache files which can become corrupt, especially when upgrading to the next major release of iOS.

I'm having a similar problem but I'm not going to do the reinstall just yet. What I found this morning was that when my iPhone [Apple] Music library was empty and iTunes Match (plus Show All Music) was set to on, Spotify was playing in shuffle mode from my entire library instead of the album I had targeted. Was driving me bananas in the car this morning. Then my car started saying it wasn't talking to the phone because it couldn't see any music on it. So I've loaded on one song and I'll see if that solves my problem first. Could very well be a need to reinstall. I'll come back and say if that's the case.

Having this problem too. I use the premium version on iPhone 4. Think it started with last update I installed, very annoying.
It stopped when I played a few tracks on my iPhone then turned on my iPad and selected option "control on this device"- as in control on my I pad.
I then turned off the app on my iPad and went back to my I phone, selected "control on this device" on the pop up menu and played a track from an album. It's now playing normally and not stuck on shuffle! Complete fluke and not intended consequence but I'm happier now! Good luck

This worked--I can hardly believe it--thanks!!!

Jeff

Great!! Like I said complete fluke from noodling around with it! Enjoy!! ('',)

Spot on! Delete Spotify app and re-download from the app store.

Hope this dosen't happen when I'm offline and unable to download. eg on holiday

Marked as solution

Had this same issue. If you tap the song that is currently playing it will bring the song's details/artwork to full screen. There you will see a small shuffle icon. Tap it and problem solved.

Spot on!! Thanks!!

I have the samne problem: Spotify on an iPad stuck in shuffle mode. The image of the album on the Now Playing screen is so large that the toggle controls are off the screen and I can't get them back.

Suggested posts