Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iPod touch 1st Generation

iPod touch 1st Generation

I'm French, so I'll try to explain myself clearly.

I've just bought a Premium account in order to listen music everywhere ("you'll be able to listen music everywhere !").

The irony is that I own an iPod 1st generation ... And you'll understand my troubles ... i just can't use spotify on it !

I already choosed to support a big investment : 10€ /months.

I won't be able to buy another iPod, and I don't want !

Now, what are the possibilities to resolve my case ?

If I update my ipod to the next generation ?

Thank for having your attention.

I hope to receive your advices soon !

Thank's in advance !

7 Replies

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Spotify on iOS requires iOS version 4 or higher which is why it is not available to your 1st generation device, which can only be updated as far as version 3.1.3. 

Generation 2 iPod Touch devices support iOS 4, and Spotify have a dedicated legacy application for iOS 4 which is available in the app store for those devices. All higher generations 3+ support iOS 5 or 6 which can run the most recent version of the Spotify application which provides the most features! 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Thank's a lot Peter.

But I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed by spotify.

I tried with another ipod (last generation) and Spotify don't even recognize it !

Is a manunal manipulation existing to synchronize the device ?

Thank's in advance ! 

(I'm in the testing period of 30 dayx and I have to say that I'm really not satisfied ..)

Hey again 🙂 

Do you mean the Spotify application is not recognising your premium subscription? 

If so, I would suggest you have a read at and try the steps outlined in this post.

Peter

Peter

Peter, tell me if I'm wrong !

I don't need any application on ipod ? Isn't it ?

Depends on the type of the iPod. 

If its an iPod Touch, then you should download the Spotify application and use that to access the Spotify service. You should be able to log in using your premium account details which you use on the desktop version. 

If its any other type of iPod, then Spotify can only be used to transfer your local files. There is no Spotify application for those devices so you can use the Spotify client on the desktop to transfer local files that you own to the device that way. You can not transfer Spotify catalogue material to those devices. 

Peter

Peter

And on the iPod touch am-I obliged to use the application.

In fact I prefered to transfer files directly on the library of the ipod !

Using an application is very binding for several reasons.

Now, I'm alredy lost. I tried your solutions and nothinf is changing ...

The iPod 1st generation : not detected

The iPod last generation : not detected

I'm about to quit spoty. And I don't understand why (and how !) spotify concentrate all the informations (forums, discussions ...) This is a bit exasperating. 

Excuse me peter ! You're cool

If you want to listen to Spotify catalogue material on your iPod Touch, then you need to use the Spotify app. 

Plugging an iPod Touch into your computer using a USB cable will not list your device under the "Device" section, to do that, you need to connect both the desktop and the iPod to the same WiFi network. 

I would suggest you have a read at the mobile pages of the website and if you wish to sync local files from your desktop to your iPod Touch you can do so following the instructions here.

Peter

Peter

Suggested posts